Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Havard <br...@kheldar.apana.org.au> on 1997/10/15 11:28:41 UTC

Multithreading

  I'm looking at multithreading for OS/2 (which threads much more efficiently
than it forks) but it looks like there are a few Windoze specific bits of
code in there (and not in the os/win32 directory).

One thing I found and don't know what to do with is

#define APACHE_TLS __declspec( thread )

in multithread.h. What does this do and is it portable?

Re: Multithreading

Posted by Martijn Koster <ma...@webcrawler.com>.
On Wed, Oct 15, 1997 at 07:28:41PM +1000, Brian Havard wrote:

> One thing I found and don't know what to do with is
>
> #define APACHE_TLS __declspec( thread )
>
> in multithread.h. What does this do and is it portable?

I know little about Win32, but Excite found:

   http://www.vcdj.com/vcdj/jul97/win32_17.htm

   "Several compilers implement automatic thread-local storage management.
    For Microsoft C, this is done by adding the thread attribute to a
    variable declaration like so:

    __declspec(thread) LPTSTR buffer;

   This is a Microsoft-specific extension and may not be supported in all compilers."

Hope this helps.

-- Martijn Koster, m.koster@pobox.com