Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by jmlucjav <jm...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/08 12:24:00 UTC

usage of /etc/jetty.xml when debugging Solr in Eclipse

Hi,

I am following
http://www.lucidimagination.com/devzone/technical-articles/setting-apache-solr-eclipse
in order to be able to debug Solr in eclipse. I got it working fine.

Now, I usually use ./etc/jetty.xml to set logging configuration. When
starting jetty in eclipse I dont see any log files created, so I guessed
jetty.xml is not being used. So I added it to RunJetty Advanced
configuration (Additional jetty.xml), but in that case something goes wrong,
as I get a 'java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind' error,
like if something is started twice.

So my question is: can jetty.xml be used while debugging in eclipse? If so,
how? I would like to use the same configuration I use when I am just
changing xml stuff in Solr and starting with 'java -jar start.jar'.

thank in advance

Re: usage of /etc/jetty.xml when debugging Solr in Eclipse

Posted by jmlucjav <jm...@gmail.com>.
yes, I am using https://github.com/alexwinston/RunJettyRun that apparently is
a fork of the original project that originated in the need to use an
jetty.xml.

So I am already setting an additional jetty.xml, this can be done in the Run
configuration, no need to use -D param. But as I mentioned solr does not
start cleanly if I do that.

So I wanted to understand what role plays /etc/jetty.xml
- when solr is started via 'java -jar start.jar'
- when started with RunJettyRun in eclipse.

Re: usage of /etc/jetty.xml when debugging Solr in Eclipse

Posted by Bernd Fehling <be...@uni-bielefeld.de>.
Hi,

run-jetty-run issue #9:
In the VM Arguments of your launch configuration set
-Drjrxml=./jetty.xml

If jetty.xml is in the root of your project it will be used (you can also use a fully
qualified path name).

The UI port, context and WebApp dir are ignored, since you can define them in jetty.xml

Note: You still have to specify a valid "WebApp dir" because there are other checks
that the plugin performs.

Or you can start solr with jetty as usual and then connect eclipse
to the running process.

Regards