Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de> on 2001/11/02 22:10:35 UTC

[AvalonDB] Client GUI for testing

Hi Paul, all,
here is a little GUI (Swing1.2) for the AvalonDB. It's
a small user interface to test the JDBC Connection
to the DB and fire statements and watch the Result.

In the moment only pure socket connections are supported.
But in nearer future, parallel to to the server development,
soap, etc...

Unfortunately the socket connection to the server can
not be established (IOException) and didn't figured it out yet :(.

Further there is little start script for the GUI (rundbtest.bat)
and 2 new util classes for String manipulation. Stolen
from cocoon :).
org.apache.avalon.db.util

The connect URL is
jdbc:avalondb:cmds:sqlx:localhost:9001
It's not standard yet, more a working draft. Maybe we should
make it fix and then write some routines for syntax checking.

Paul, did you figured something out about SQLX and parsing inside
the server?

Cheers
Gerhard

RE: [AvalonDB] Client GUI for testing

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Paul,
>Gerhard,
>

>>Handcrafted GUI...hardwork and I don't have much experience with
>>gui programming so my choice was VisualAge, because it produces
>>good code. But well, don't want to get in trouble here. I will
>>rewrite it...
>>
>No hurry dude. Just we could not move from aplha to beta or final like
>that.
Surly I didn't mean now. I'm lucky when it connect and request/reply
something.
>>>SQLX ?
>>>
>>>On saturday I'll begin work on the SQLX parser and complete (way broken)
>>>the BCEL class generation.
>>>
>>Cool, exciting...
>>
>:-)
>
>It's difficult as it does not make a easily viewable trail as to what it
>has done.
He, don't understand this sentence (the meaning)...

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Gerhard,

>Handcrafted GUI...hardwork and I don't have much experience with
>gui programming so my choice was VisualAge, because it produces
>good code. But well, don't want to get in trouble here. I will
>rewrite it...

No hurry dude. Just we could not move from aplha to beta or final like
that.

>>SQLX ?
>>
>>On saturday I'll begin work on the SQLX parser and complete (way broken)
>>the BCEL class generation.
>>
>Cool, exciting...

:-)

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Paul,
>Gerhard,
>
>It's committed largely.  Changes : 1) GUI in test package not utils. 2)
>batch file not submitted - I've opted for an executable jar.
No problem...

>Visual Age - we should generally never use the lock-in features of a
>tool.  Granted it can be compiled anywhere, but we can't WYSIWYG edit it
>other tools.  Over time we should migrate this to hand crafted GUI
>placement.
Handcrafted GUI...hardwork and I don't have much experience with
gui programming so my choice was VisualAge, because it produces
good code. But well, don't want to get in trouble here. I will
rewrite it...
>SQLX ?
>
>On saturday I'll begin work on the SQLX parser and complete (way broken)
>the BCEL class generation.
Cool, exciting...

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Gerhard,