Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by Mike McKee <mm...@connx.com> on 2008/02/18 18:06:19 UTC

Dynamic Adding New Service/Operation to AXIS2C

It doesn't look like AXIS2C is currently capable of adding new Services
or Operations dynamically. We will be imbedding AXIS2C in our commercial
application, and have additional requirements that are not in the the
current product (We think).

It appears that AXIS2C reads the potential services it has on startup,
and keeps the service.xml and the DLL that contains the web service
routines in a locked state. We have the need to dynamically add new
services, and operations to an existing service. This can be done by
bringing the server down, and then back up with the new DLL and
service.xml file, but this is not desirable (given that we want to be as
close to 24/7 as possible).

Any suggestions on this request, before I start looking to see what I
need to do.

Mike Mckee

Re: Dynamic Adding New Service/Operation to AXIS2C

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@wso2.com>.
Senaka Fernando wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>

>> It doesn't look like AXIS2C is currently capable of adding new Services
>> or Operations dynamically. We will be imbedding AXIS2C in our commercial
>> application, and have additional requirements that are not in the the
>> current product (We think).
>>

> No, we don't support hot deployment.

Hot deployment is not supported, but you can add services and operations
dynamically, using the configuration hierarchy, programatically.
We have done it with WSO2's products and it works.

>> It appears that AXIS2C reads the potential services it has on startup,
>> and keeps the service.xml and the DLL that contains the web service
>> routines in a locked state. We have the need to dynamically add new
>> services, and operations to an existing service. This can be done by
>> bringing the server down, and then back up with the new DLL and
>> service.xml file, but this is not desirable (given that we want to be as
>> close to 24/7 as possible).
>>

> Server restart will take around a minute, so if you set the timeout to
> greater than say 2 minutes on your client side, you shouldn't see any
> issues.

Again, as I mentioned earlier, you can add services and operations
dynamically, and implement your own message receiver to get the job
done. This way, you do not need to shut down.

Samisa...

Re: Dynamic Adding New Service/Operation to AXIS2C

Posted by Senaka Fernando <se...@wso2.com>.
Hi Mike,

> It doesn't look like AXIS2C is currently capable of adding new Services
> or Operations dynamically. We will be imbedding AXIS2C in our commercial
> application, and have additional requirements that are not in the the
> current product (We think).

No, we don't support hot deployment.

> It appears that AXIS2C reads the potential services it has on startup,
> and keeps the service.xml and the DLL that contains the web service
> routines in a locked state. We have the need to dynamically add new
> services, and operations to an existing service. This can be done by
> bringing the server down, and then back up with the new DLL and
> service.xml file, but this is not desirable (given that we want to be as
> close to 24/7 as possible).

Server restart will take around a minute, so if you set the timeout to
greater than say 2 minutes on your client side, you shouldn't see any
issues.

> Any suggestions on this request, before I start looking to see what I
> need to do.

If someone could work on hot deployment support for Axis2/C that would be
great.

Regards,
Senaka