Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hari Om <ha...@hotmail.com> on 2003/07/14 23:44:35 UTC

[users@httpd] RPM Pacakages for RHLinux

where can I download rpm file for JDK and Tomcat on Red Hat Linux  7.1
I tried rpmfind.net freshrpms.net and rpmseek.com

what is better way to INSTALL above pacakages on Red Hat Linux...(1)TAR/GZ
or (2) RPM...?

Where is the FORUM for RED HAT LINUX...?

MILLION THANKS!

Re: RPM Pacakages for RHLinux

Posted by Boris Folgmann <mi...@folgmann.com>.
Hari Om wrote:
> where can I download rpm file for JDK and Tomcat on Red Hat Linux  7.1
> I tried rpmfind.net freshrpms.net and rpmseek.com

Have you checked jpackage.org?

cu,
	boris

Re: RPM Pacakages for RHLinux

Posted by bernd pier <nc...@netcologne.de>.
hi hari
i think that jsdk and tomcat are available in bin or source versions.in
my opinion the bin version is the easier way to install both of them. if
you run in problems with one of the installation feel free to ask, help
is on the way.
bernd

Posted by Jens Skripczynski <sk...@myrealbox.com>.
Hari Om:
> where can I download rpm file for JDK and Tomcat on Red Hat Linux  7.1
> I tried rpmfind.net freshrpms.net and rpmseek.com
>
> what is better way to INSTALL above pacakages on Red Hat Linux...(1)TAR/GZ
> or (2) RPM...?
>
> Where is the FORUM for RED HAT LINUX...?
1) It is usually not a good idea to x-post the same message to different
mailinglists.

2) For some rpm version you could checkout
   http://www.jpackage.org/

   You will not find an rpm for the j2sdk, because with the current jdk
   license it is not possible (afaik) to ship an rpm version.

   They have figured out some way to install rpm's with java files with less
   bolts and ...

   (Also you may want to install yum or apt-get, because they will figure out
   what rpm's you need)

Ciao

Jens Skripczynski
--
E-Mail: skripczynski(at)mail2003(dot)skripczynski(dot)de

at present, with the exception of tobacco, alcohol and television, most drugs
are illegal, and yet our kids can always find them on every school corner
                                  -- Manu Chao

Re: [users@httpd] RPM Pacakages for RHLinux

Posted by Joseph A Nagy Jr <jo...@charter.net>.
On Monday 14 July 2003 16:46, Patrick Donker wrote this in an attempt to
be witty and informative:
> MAYBE YOU SHOULD TRY THE REDHAT SITE?
<snip>

Actually, for tomcat he should try Apache.org and JDK he should try
java.sun.com
the -4 Shield of No Spell Checker
http://joseph-a-nagy-jr.homelinux.org

RE: [users@httpd] cgi-bin as a subdirectory of document root

Posted by Nigel Peck - MIS Web Design <ni...@miswebdesign.com>.
Thanks

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Nigel Peck - MIS Web Design <ni...@miswebdesign.com>.
I am 99.9% sure this is wrong, can someone point me to a page that explains why?

How does it make it easier to break into?

Cheers,
Nigel

Re: [users@httpd] RPM Pacakages for RHLinux

Posted by Patrick Donker <pa...@reporters.net>.

Posted by Brendan <bp...@fastmail.fm>.
java.sun.com for the JDK - personally I like the tar better, but its
preference

for Tomcat
http://apache.mirrorcentral.com/dist/jakarta/tomcat-4/binaries/

Monday, July 14, 2003, 5:44:35 PM, you wrote:

> where can I download rpm file for JDK and Tomcat on Red Hat Linux  7.1
> I tried rpmfind.net freshrpms.net and rpmseek.com

> what is better way to INSTALL above pacakages on Red Hat Linux...(1)TAR/GZ
> or (2) RPM...?

> Where is the FORUM for RED HAT LINUX...?

> MILLION THANKS!

Best regards,
 Brendan            bpatters7@fastmail.fm

Re: RPM Pacakages for RHLinux

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
Complete HOWTO, step by step: http://www.johnturner.com/howto

This has been posted MANY times, do yourself a favor and check archives and
Google before posting.

John

Posted by Yu Meng Chong <ch...@cymulacrum.net>.
Hari Om wrote:

> where can I download rpm file for JDK and Tomcat on Red Hat Linux  7.1
> I tried rpmfind.net freshrpms.net and rpmseek.com

I use the rpm version of IBM's Java, which you can download from :
https://www6.software.ibm.com/dl/lxdk/lxdk-p

> what is better way to INSTALL above pacakages on Red Hat
> Linux...(1)TAR/GZ or (2) RPM...?

They're both the same, more or less. For the tarball, you have to create
a directory and untar Java into that. For the rpm, you can just install
using rpm -ivh xxx.

> Where is the FORUM for RED HAT LINUX...?

I don't know ! I use Red Hat on my laptop, but am considering shifting
back to TurboLinux because of double byte support.

Regards,
pascal chong

RE: RPM Pacakages for RHLinux

Posted by "Michele Neylon:: Blacknight Solutions" <mi...@blacknightsolutions.com>.
Hi

If you are looking for JDK you would need to look on sun.com
For Tomcat you'll find all the rpms on apache.org under the tomcat project
download section.
RH 7.1 is rather old. I would upgrade if at all possible.

Mr. Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
http://www.blacknightsolutions.com
Spam and virus scanning available