Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Andre Bremer <a....@wolff-olins.com> on 2003/06/24 10:46:13 UTC

Re: 100MB email with debug info

hi guys

thanks for helping

i am sending a 127MB file which submits fine and is spooling the mail as
175MB. The next step of copying the mail to the user inbox fails with an
out of memory exception. (works fine with 28MB emails)

- the run.bat has been modified, to set the JVM to 256MB on a dedicated
server:

"%PHOENIX_JAVACMD%" %DEBUG% "-Djava.ext.dirs=%PHOENIX_HOME%\lib"
"-Dphoenix.home=%PHOENIX_HOME%"
"-Djava.security.policy=jar:file:%PHOENIX_HOME%/bin/phoenix-loader.jar!/META-INF/java.policy"
-server -Xmx256m -Xms256m
%PHOENIX_SECURE% -jar "%PHOENIX_HOME%\bin\phoenix-loader.jar" %1 %2 %3
%4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

- the command line reads:

C:\project\james\phoenix-bin\bin>run
Using PHOENIX_HOME:   C:\project\james\phoenix-bin
Using PHOENIX_TMPDIR: C:\project\james\phoenix-bin\temp
Using JAVA_HOME:      C:\j2sdk1.4.2
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Phoenix 4.0.1

James 2.2.0a6
Remote Manager Service started plain:4555
POP3 Service started plain:110
SMTP Service started plain:25
NNTP Service started plain:119
Fetch POP Disabled
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

- the spool manager log has the following interesting entries:

23/06/03 21:23:19 DEBUG spoolmanager.root: Servicing Mail1056399621032-2
by ToProcessor Mailet
23/06/03 21:23:19 DEBUG spoolmanager: Processed Mail1056399621032-2
through root
23/06/03 21:23:19 DEBUG spoolmanager: Result was transport
23/06/03 21:23:19 DEBUG spoolmanager: ==== Begin processing mail
Mail1056399621032-2====
23/06/03 21:23:19 DEBUG spoolmanager: Processing Mail1056399621032-2
through transport
23/06/03 21:23:19 DEBUG spoolmanager.transport: Servicing mail:
Mail1056399621032-2
23/06/03 21:23:19 DEBUG spoolmanager.transport: Checking
Mail1056399621032-2 with
org.apache.james.transport.matchers.RecipientIsLocal@a77106
23/06/03 21:23:19 DEBUG spoolmanager.transport: Servicing
Mail1056399621032-2 by Local Delivery Mailet
23/06/03 21:23:58 ERROR spoolmanager: Exception in JamesSpoolManager.run
null
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
23/06/03 21:23:59 DEBUG spoolmanager: ==== Begin processing mail
Mail1056399621032-2====
23/06/03 21:23:59 DEBUG spoolmanager: Processing Mail1056399621032-2
through transport
23/06/03 21:23:59 DEBUG spoolmanager.transport: Servicing mail:
Mail1056399621032-2
23/06/03 21:23:59 DEBUG spoolmanager.transport: Checking
Mail1056399621032-2 with
org.apache.james.transport.matchers.RecipientIsLocal@a77106
23/06/03 21:23:59 DEBUG spoolmanager.transport: Servicing
Mail1056399621032-2 by Local Delivery Mailet
23/06/03 21:24:14 ERROR spoolmanager: Exception in JamesSpoolManager.run
null

this goes on for while ;)

i checked the other log files and they looked 'kinda ok' to me, please
let me know if we need more log file info to track this issue down. Also
please note that i downloaded the latest 'nightly' and built it 'fresh'
to see if this one has been fixed already. But....

cheers

andre

This e-mail message is intended solely for the person to
whom it is addressed and may contain confidential or
privileged information. If you have received it in error,
please notify the postmaster@wolff-olins.com
immediately and destroy this e-mail and any attachments.
In addition, you must not disclose, copy, distribute or take
any action in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments.

Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent
those of Wolff Olins. E-mail may be susceptible to
data corruption, interception, unauthorised amendment,
viruses and unforeseen delays, and we do not accept
liability for any such data corruption, interception,
unauthorised amendment, viruses and delays or the
consequences thereof.
Accordingly, this e-mail and any attachments
are opened at your own risk.
http://www.wolff-olins.com

RE: 100MB email success with 1GB of RAM

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> where shall we go from here....

If you would not mind doing that again, except with heap profiling enabled,
perhaps we can quickly spot what is causing memory to be consumed.

	--- Noel

100MB email success with 1GB of RAM

Posted by Andre Bremer <a....@wolff-olins.com>.
hi

we just completed another 100MB email test with a dedicated server
setting the JVM to use 1GB RAM.

this time the email was sent and received correctly.

Obviously this is good news, however the real issue remains, for all
James servers running on less memory.

where shall we go from here....

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> DEBUG spoolmanager.transport: Servicing Mail1056399621032-2 by Local
Delivery Mailet
> ERROR spoolmanager: Exception in JamesSpoolManager.run
> null
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

I'm beginning to suspect a particular passage of code, which points the
finger at JavaMail, although presenting options for workarounds.

> please note that i downloaded the latest 'nightly' and built it 'fresh'
> please let me know if we need more log file info to track this issue down.

If you enable heap profiling (and set the trace depth to at least 10), we
could look for the specific internals that are causing memory consumption.
My expectation is that it is going to be underneath where LocalDelivery
invokes javax.mail.internet.MimeMessage, and related to the change we made
for handling the Delivered-To header.

	--- Noel