Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> on 2007/01/29 17:49:19 UTC

Source jars for the published snapshots

I think it would be very useful to publish source jars (containing Java
source code) corresponding to the jars that we have published on the
Maven snapshot repository, and our M2 release jars as well. This will
make debugging easier in particular with Eclipse.

I'm sure there is a way to do this with Maven but can't find it in their
docs how to control the name of the generated jars (from xyz-sources.jar
to xyzsrc.jar). Does anyone know how to do that?

Then when I have the source jars how can i publish them? mvn deploy will
publish the binary jars but is it going to also publish any source jars
I've generated?

Jean-Sebastien

Re: Source jars for the published snapshots

Posted by Dan Murphy <dm...@googlemail.com>.
+1 (non-binding) for the source... would make debugging in eclipse much easier

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> I think this sets the wrong expectation for the snapshots. They are
> not released code, they are an aid for project developers who should
> be familiar with the progress of the unstable tree the snapshot
> represents and that means tracking SVN. The source is there and can
> just be checked out - and developers should remember that it is what
> that is in SVN is authoritative not some pre-packaged bundle.
>
> If you want to publish them then go ahead but others should not get an
> expectation that everyone will do that every time a snapshot is
> refreshed.
>
> --
> Jeremy
>
> On Jan 29, 2007, at 8:49 AM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
>
>> I think it would be very useful to publish source jars (containing
>> Java source code) corresponding to the jars that we have published on
>> the Maven snapshot repository, and our M2 release jars as well. This
>> will make debugging easier in particular with Eclipse.
>>
>> I'm sure there is a way to do this with Maven but can't find it in
>> their docs how to control the name of the generated jars (from
>> xyz-sources.jar to xyzsrc.jar). Does anyone know how to do that?
>>
>> Then when I have the source jars how can i publish them? mvn deploy
>> will publish the binary jars but is it going to also publish any
>> source jars I've generated?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --Jean-Sebastien

I want to do this for the stable pre-spec-changes kernel snapshots that
we are using to make progress on the extensions, as well as the .95 spec
apis. As you said snapshot jars are an aid for project developers. I
just want to make them easier to use in an IDE with the ability to get
the source code attached to them automatically.

I am using Eclipse and pointing Eclipse to source jars is simpler than
checking the corresponding modules out of SVN and configuring each
Eclipse project to point to them. The Maven eclipse plugin can generate
all the source attachments (see
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/examples/attach-library-sources.html)
if you have deployed the source jars. If others don't care about this,
that's fine by me, but I'm sure it'll help Eclipse users.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.