Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> on 2022/06/30 00:38:07 UTC

[Branding Issue] Shenyu is still decleared as a project of dromara community

Hi Shenyu and incubator

Shenyu is going to graduate in next month, I accidentally have a
chance to review its original org, Dromara, due to some reviews for
SkyWalking PR.

There are two things concerning me.
1. Dromara website[1] still declare Shenyu(even with Apache prefix) on
its project page. I think this is wrong and confusing end-users. As
this project has been donated for a long time, why it is still hosted
there?
2. Hutool project[2], another project hosted in dromara community, its
website declares very clearly Shenyu is a project of Dromara
community.
3. Sa-token project[3], Dromara community project. It posts Shenyu's
logo as well without Apache prefix, and it links the project to
gitee[4], which is mostly an official mirror of Shenyu.

Could Shenyu's PMC take care of this? make sure that, Dromara is not a
big open-source community, and several people in Shenyu PMC team
actually leads this community as far as I know.
1. From Dromara community perspective, it would keep declaring things
like this. Shenyu has been donated to the foundation.
2. All links, especially those you could control in the Dromara
community's project, should go to the Apache website, or Apache's
GitHub repository very clearly.

For members of the PMC team, I hope Shenyu's PMC could take more
responsibilities to protect the ASF and project branding. This should
not be hard to find, as you are working inside Dromara community.
Unless you didn't know this is a branding, this would concern me more,
as you are going to graduate a TLP.

[1] https://dromara.org/projects/
[2] https://www.hutool.cn/
[3] https://sa-token.dev33.cn/
[4] https://gitee.com/Apache-ShenYu/incubator-shenyu

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Re: [Branding Issue] Shenyu is still decleared as a project of dromara community

Posted by Yu Xiao <xi...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Maybe it can be understood like this : Many developers or
organizations using projects from the dromara community.

--
Best wishes!

Yu Xiao
Apache ShenYu (Incubating)

Re: [Branding Issue] Shenyu is still decleared as a project of dromara community

Posted by Yu Xiao <xi...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

--
Best wishes!

Yu Xiao
Apache ShenYu (Incubating)

Re: [Branding Issue] Shenyu is still decleared as a project of dromara community

Posted by Yu Xiao <xi...@apache.org>.
Hi John,

dromara[1] is an open source organization, and there are many
developers or organizations using projects from the dromara community.

Apache ShenYu was donated to ASF by dromara. So, dromara project[2] a
link to the Apache ShenYu website[3].

Other projects(hutool, sa-token) under the dromara community also have
a links, but they forward to a wrong address.

After sheng's feedback, ShenYu PPMCs have good communication with the
dromara community. these links have been cleaned up.

As we all know, Apache ShenYu is copyright by ASF, as you can tell
from the name.

[1] https://dromara.org/
[2] https://dromara.org/projects/
[3] https://shenyu.apache.org/

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2022年7月3日周日 07:47写道:

> Hi,
>
> I cannot read the original but the translation seems fine to me. The only thing that might be better worded I guess would be "Thousands of individuals and teams are using the open source projects of the Dromara community.”?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Justin

Best wishes!

Yu Xiao
Apache ShenYu (Incubating)

Re: [Branding Issue] Shenyu is still decleared as a project of dromara community

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Hi, John

In a short version, they are not a legal entity.
But they work like one. They worked like a virtual org, including accepting
project donation, transfer projects from individual to an org, announce
news from an org perspective to present this project.
I believe the major reason of not being a legal entity, is that, it is hard
to regisr a foundation in China.

It is not about supporting projects, guide or providing local support or
docs. Those are totally fine.
But dromara doesn't provide that.

> Dromara 是由国内顶尖的开源项目作者共同组成的开源社区。提供包括开源网关,分布式事务,流行工具,企业级认证,微服务RPC,运维监控,Agent监控,分布式日志,调度编排等一系列开源产品、解决方案与咨询、技术支持与培训认证服务。技术栈全面开源共建、
保持社区中立,致力于为全球用户提供微服务云原生解决方案。让参与的每一位开源爱好者,体会到开源的快乐。

Dromara开源社区目前拥有10+GVP项目,总star数量超过7万,构建了上万人的开源社区,有成千上万的个人及团队在使用Dromara社区的开源项目。

This is their own statement. It clearly declare (owns projects)

John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>于2022年7月3日 周日00:41写道:

> [...]
> explaining how to run these software components within the context of
> Dromara? Or just how to run them in general?
>
> Mostly the reason I'm asking is because on the landing page for Dromara, it
> mentions the organization's purpose is "An organization dedicated to native
> solutions for the microservice cloud" which can be built on Apache products
> and if they're providing a guide on how to integrate the Apache product
> into their own software stack it may make sense that they're listed as an
> integrated component.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>

> > For members of the PMC team, I hope Shenyu's PMC could take more
> > responsibilities to protect the ASF and project branding. This should
> > not be hard to find, as you are working inside Dromara community.
> > Unless you didn't know this is a branding, this would concern me more,

Sheng Wu 吴晟

Apache SkyWalking
Apache Incubator
Apache ShardingSphere, ECharts, DolphinScheduler podlings
Zipkin

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Hi, John

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Hi

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the update.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Yu Xiao <xi...@apache.org> 于2022年6月30日周四 12:34写道:

Posted by allen <le...@163.com>.
退订!

| |
allen

leiyu8748@163.com

---- Replied Message ----
| From | 凌岳<is...@126.com> |
| Date | 10/15/2022 22:24 |
| To | <de...@shenyu.apache.org> |
| Subject | Re:Re: [Branding Issue] Shenyu is still decleared as a project ofdromara community |
退订!

在 2022-07-01 12:55:27,"星之梦" <69...@qq.com.INVALID> 写道:
退订

Posted by 凌岳 <is...@126.com>.
退订!

Posted by 星之梦 <69...@qq.com.INVALID>.
退订

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the update.

Posted by Yu Xiao <xi...@apache.org>.
Hi Sheng,

Thank you very much for the reminder, I will notify dromara, hutool,
sa-token and clean up the links about Apache ShenYu.

Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> 于2022年6月30日周四 08:38写道:

> Hi Shenyu and incubator
>
> Shenyu is going to graduate in next month, I accidentally have a
> chance to review its original org, Dromara, due to some reviews for
> SkyWalking PR.
>
> There are two things concerning me.
> 1. Dromara website[1] still declare Shenyu(even with Apache prefix) on
> its project page. I think this is wrong and confusing end-users. As
> this project has been donated for a long time, why it is still hosted
> there?
> 2. Hutool project[2], another project hosted in dromara community, its
> website declares very clearly Shenyu is a project of Dromara
> community.
> 3. Sa-token project[3], Dromara community project. It posts Shenyu's
> logo as well without Apache prefix, and it links the project to
> gitee[4], which is mostly an official mirror of Shenyu.
>
> Could Shenyu's PMC take care of this? make sure that, Dromara is not a
> big open-source community, and several people in Shenyu PMC team
> actually leads this community as far as I know.
> 1. From Dromara community perspective, it would keep declaring things
> like this. Shenyu has been donated to the foundation.
> 2. All links, especially those you could control in the Dromara
> community's project, should go to the Apache website, or Apache's
> GitHub repository very clearly.
>
> For members of the PMC team, I hope Shenyu's PMC could take more
> responsibilities to protect the ASF and project branding. This should
> not be hard to find, as you are working inside Dromara community.
> Unless you didn't know this is a branding, this would concern me more,
> as you are going to graduate a TLP.
>

> [1] https://dromara.org/projects/
> [2] https://www.hutool.cn/
> [3] https://sa-token.dev33.cn/
> [4] https://gitee.com/Apache-ShenYu/incubator-shenyu
>
> Sheng Wu 吴晟
> Twitter, wusheng1108

Best wishes!

Yu Xiao
Apache ShenYu (Incubating)

Re: [Branding Issue] Shenyu is still decleared as a project of dromara community

Posted by Yu Xiao <xi...@apache.org>.
Hi Sheng,

Thank you very much for the reminder, I will notify dromara, hutool,
sa-token and clean up the links about Apache ShenYu.

Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> 于2022年6月30日周四 08:38写道:

> Hi Shenyu and incubator
>
> Shenyu is going to graduate in next month, I accidentally have a
> chance to review its original org, Dromara, due to some reviews for
> SkyWalking PR.
>
> There are two things concerning me.
> 1. Dromara website[1] still declare Shenyu(even with Apache prefix) on
> its project page. I think this is wrong and confusing end-users. As
> this project has been donated for a long time, why it is still hosted
> there?
> 2. Hutool project[2], another project hosted in dromara community, its
> website declares very clearly Shenyu is a project of Dromara
> community.
> 3. Sa-token project[3], Dromara community project. It posts Shenyu's
> logo as well without Apache prefix, and it links the project to
> gitee[4], which is mostly an official mirror of Shenyu.
>
> Could Shenyu's PMC take care of this? make sure that, Dromara is not a
> big open-source community, and several people in Shenyu PMC team
> actually leads this community as far as I know.
> 1. From Dromara community perspective, it would keep declaring things
> like this. Shenyu has been donated to the foundation.
> 2. All links, especially those you could control in the Dromara
> community's project, should go to the Apache website, or Apache's
> GitHub repository very clearly.
>
> For members of the PMC team, I hope Shenyu's PMC could take more
> responsibilities to protect the ASF and project branding. This should
> not be hard to find, as you are working inside Dromara community.
> Unless you didn't know this is a branding, this would concern me more,
> as you are going to graduate a TLP.
>

> [1] https://dromara.org/projects/
> [2] https://www.hutool.cn/
> [3] https://sa-token.dev33.cn/
> [4] https://gitee.com/Apache-ShenYu/incubator-shenyu
>
> Sheng Wu 吴晟
> Twitter, wusheng1108

Best wishes!

Yu Xiao
Apache ShenYu (Incubating)

Re: [Branding Issue] Shenyu is still decleared as a project of dromara community

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Hi