Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Mark Lundquist <ml...@comcast.net> on 2007/02/27 02:48:30 UTC

Change file selection in

Hi,

I have a form with (a) an upload widget, so they can upload something,
and (b) a submit widget, so they can move on to the next thing :-).  I
would like to be able to support the following style of interaction:

1) User chooses a file

2) I have a server-side onValueChanged handler, so the form is
submitted immediately and my handler fires — but sendForm() does not
return, we are still waiting for the submit widget

3) My handler does a little preprocessing on the InputStream containing
the uploaded data, then it displays some stuff and prompts the user to
look and make sure it is OK (here they are really checking that what
they uploaded means what they think it means)

4) If everything is good, the user clicks the submit button and the
flow continues on to the next part... OTHERWISE,

5) ...it's not what the user wanted, they need to either change their
selection, or edit the file they want to upload, and then somehow cause
it to re-upload.

I've just coded up (1)-(4), but I'm not seeing how to accomplish (5).
After the file picker is invoked, it seems that the HTML file chooser
button is replaced with some sort of a submit button labeled "..."
(that's not very intuitive to me... I wonder do other users "in the
wild" really get it?).  Anyway, does anybody know of a way to do what
I'm trying to do, or can suggest a reasonable alternative?  I'd really
like to keep this interaction contained within a single page, rather
than have the user bouncing back and forth... ;-/

cheers,
—ml—