Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> on 2011/08/05 18:54:05 UTC

Website Privacy Policy ( was: Migrating the web forums at user.services.openoffice.org to Apache servers )

On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 21:44 -0400, drew wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 18:01 -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:

<snip>

> > > 5 - Currently the site references a Privacy Policy statement on the
> > > Oracle web site - will need to lockdown exactly where this now needs to
> > > point for Apache.
> >
> > a) Create the new Policy which should apply for all of the openoffice.org content going forward.
>
> OK - a quick search finds these:
> http://maven.apache.org/privacy-policy.html
>
> http://continuum.apache.org/privacy-policy.html
>
> hmm - look rather similar don't they.
>
> Do you know of a specific boiler plate for Apache projects anywhere
> else?
>

> > b) Put the page somewhere on the new www.openoffice.org site.

Alright - After Looking at a few more Privacy Policy pages it seems the
real question is:

Will there be any web analytics running on the web sites?

OpenOffice.org of course used such.

The current OpenOffice.org site also uses the Oracle Privacy Policy
page.

It appears that Apache projects use Google, but not all Apache web sites
from what I can see.

So we could start with the text from say the maven project's page above
for a first draft - the question becomes what about the last paragraph -
Will the sites be running google analytics, or something different, or
none at all on day one?

Thanks,

Drew

Re: Website Privacy Policy ( was: Migrating the web forums at user.services.openoffice.org to Apache servers )

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Mon, 2011-08-08 at 10:44 -0400, Shane Curcuru wrote:
> I suggest starting with the Jackrabbit project's policy, which many old
> threads show was discussed with the ASF Legal team:
>
>    https://jackrabbit.apache.org/privacy-policy.html

Hi Shane,

Yes, that looks like a good statement, thanks.

> A wide number of Apache projects use Google Analytics, which is fine in
> general as long as you're careful to comply with the relevant Analytics
> policies.  A few projects use other methods of tracking users; in those
> cases you should check with legal-discuss@ to see what sort of policy is
> needed.

<snip>

> A number of other projects use Analytics on parts of their websites and
> not on other parts, so this isn't necessarily so unusual.  However I
> wouldn't be surprised if our future hosting of things like forums and
> content on the openoffice.org domain means that this project will need
> to have some more thorough privacy and other policies in the future.

OK - I take it that the *.openoffice.org is going to be maintained for
some period of time.

Looking at four sites:

www.openoffice.org - the TOU points to an internal page:

http://openoffice.org/terms_of_use

[Action Item] Update page with the change in status from Oracle to
Apache ownership.

That page has a brief paragraph on privacy and links to another page for
more details:
http://www.oracle.com/html/privacy.html

[AI] Replace that page with our new privacy policy page, stored on the
openoffice.org website.

The 10 language forums at user.services.openoffice.org also link to this
English only page for TOU. So, assuming www.openoffice.org is alive no
change would be required here, IMO.

The wiki currently has no link to a Terms of Use page that I can find.
It does have a link in the footer for a Privacy Policy, which leads to
this page:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org_Wiki:Privacy_policy

:-/

[AI] Change the wiki footer to use the TOU page on the main OO.o site
and by reference the new Privacy Policy.

The extension and template repository. Uses a link in the footer, Terms
and Policies, this currently leads to this page:
http://www.sunsource.net/TUPPCP.html

another :-/

[Ai] Change the footer to use the TOU page on the main OO.o site.

This sound about right to folks?

//drew

ps will send a separate email to list specifically on question of using
Google analytics.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
I suggest starting with the Jackrabbit project's policy, which many old
threads show was discussed with the ASF Legal team:

   https://jackrabbit.apache.org/privacy-policy.html

A wide number of Apache projects use Google Analytics, which is fine in
general as long as you're careful to comply with the relevant Analytics
policies.  A few projects use other methods of tracking users; in those
cases you should check with legal-discuss@ to see what sort of policy is
needed.

In general, note that Apache has a very strong history of respecting
user privacy - both of people who browse our websites, as well as our
contributors (within the limits of ensuring we have clean IP to our
projects!).  The main apache.org homepage doesn't have a privacy policy,
mainly because we don't track anything about users there.

Re: Website Privacy Policy

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Mon, 2011-08-08 at 12:54 -0400, drew wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-08-06 at 16:02 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> > >>

> > > <snip>

> <snip>
>
> Hi rob,
>

> > Is this the privacy policy for the website or the wiki and forums?
>
> I would say a singly privacy policy can and should be created for all
> AOO websties which allow creation of user accounts.
>
> However for the specifics of this thread I was envisioning a policy that
> would apply to the following web sites:
>
> www.openoffice.org
> wiki.services.openoffice.org
> extensions.services.openoffice.org
> templates.services.openoffice.org
> user.services.openoffice.org
>
> Additionally, other web sites might well be added to that list which
> I've simply failed to recall.

why.openoffice.org
- separate footer
-- currently links to:
http://www.sunsource.net/TUPPCP.html

for Terms and policies...

needs separate (AI]

Re: Website Privacy Policy ( was: Migrating the web forums at user.services.openoffice.org to Apache servers )

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Mon, 2011-08-08 at 19:11 +0200, eric wrote:
> Hi,
>
> drew a écrit :
>
> > I would say a singly privacy policy can and should be created for all AOO websties which allow creation of user accounts.
> >
> > However for the specifics of this thread I was envisioning a policy that would apply to the following web sites:
> >
> > www.openoffice.org
> > wiki.services.openoffice.org
> > extensions.services.openoffice.org
> > templates.services.openoffice.org
> > user.services.openoffice.org
> >
> > Additionally, other web sites might well be added to that list which
> > I've simply failed to recall.
>
> Is it possible to add education.openoffice.org in the list ?

Howdy Eric,

Yes, indeed...perhaps too much detail on my part, should of wrote
*.openoffice.org and been done, huh.

For any sub domain of type [x].openoffice.org picks up the standard
footer so link to the internal TOU page already.

However, the [x].services.openoffice.org  domains on the other hand was
used to reference servers that may or may not be physically under
Sun/Oracle control, but for sure they are running a separate web service
(Drupal, MediaWiki, phpBB for example).

Posted by eric <er...@free.fr>.
Hi,

drew a écrit :

> I would say a singly privacy policy can and should be created for all AOO websties which allow creation of user accounts.
>
> However for the specifics of this thread I was envisioning a policy that would apply to the following web sites:
>
> www.openoffice.org
> wiki.services.openoffice.org
> extensions.services.openoffice.org
> templates.services.openoffice.org
> user.services.openoffice.org
>
> Additionally, other web sites might well be added to that list which
> I've simply failed to recall.

Is it possible to add education.openoffice.org in the list ?

Alexandro and me would like to continue the effort.

Thanks in advance
Eric Bachard

--
Education Project:
Blog : http://eric.bachard.org/news

Re: Website Privacy Policy ( was: Migrating the web forums at user.services.openoffice.org to Apache servers )

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Sat, 2011-08-06 at 16:02 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 12:54 PM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 21:44 -0400, drew wrote:
> >> On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 18:01 -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:
> >>

> > <snip>

<snip>

Hi rob,

> Is this the privacy policy for the website or the wiki and forums?

I would say a singly privacy policy can and should be created for all
AOO websties which allow creation of user accounts.

However for the specifics of this thread I was envisioning a policy that
would apply to the following web sites:

www.openoffice.org
wiki.services.openoffice.org
extensions.services.openoffice.org
templates.services.openoffice.org
user.services.openoffice.org

Additionally, other web sites might well be added to that list which
I've simply failed to recall.

> We
> track additional items for the wiki, right?  For example, we track
> what pages you edit or create.  And to the extent these services
> require registration we also store the users name, email address and a
> hash of their password.

Actually the main OO.o was also a site that tracked user account
information, so I think in this case the different services are more
similar then distinct in regards to Privacy Policy requirements.

Thanks,

//drew

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 12:54 PM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 21:44 -0400, drew wrote:
>> On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 18:01 -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>

> <snip>

>> > a) Create the new Policy which should apply for all of the openoffice.org content going forward.
>>
>> OK - a quick search finds these:
>> http://maven.apache.org/privacy-policy.html
>>
>> http://continuum.apache.org/privacy-policy.html
>>
>> hmm - look rather similar don't they.
>>
>> Do you know of a specific boiler plate for Apache projects anywhere
>> else?
>>

>> > b) Put the page somewhere on the new www.openoffice.org site.
>> >

> Alright - After Looking at a few more Privacy Policy pages it seems the
> real question is:
>
> Will there be any web analytics running on the web sites?
>
> OpenOffice.org of course used such.
>
> The current OpenOffice.org site also uses the Oracle Privacy Policy
> page.
>

> It appears that Apache projects use Google, but not all Apache web sites
> from what I can see.
>
> So we could start with the text from say the maven project's page above
> for a first draft - the question becomes what about the last paragraph -
> Will the sites be running google analytics, or something different, or
> none at all on day one?

Is this the privacy policy for the website or the wiki and forums?  We