Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Cristiano Costantini <cr...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/04 09:42:55 UTC

Installing feature bundles anyway

Hello All,
in the previous version of Karaf I was using (2.4.0) it was possible to
install the bundles of a Features even if it cannot be started, using the
option -c (--no-clean):

karaf@root> features:install --help
DESCRIPTION
        features:install

Installs a feature with the specified name and version.

SYNTAX
        features:install [options] feature

ARGUMENTS
        feature
                The name and version of the features to install. A feature
id looks like name/version. The version is optional.

OPTIONS
*        -c, --no-clean*
*                Do not uninstall bundles on failure*
        -r, --no-auto-refresh
                Do not automatically refresh bundles
        -v, --verbose
                Explain what is being done
        --help
                Display this help message
        -s, --no-auto-start
                Do not automatically start bundles

The option is no more available on Karaf 4.0.4, is there any other way to
force installation of bundles included in a feature?

Thank you,
Cristiano

Re: Installing feature bundles anyway

Posted by Cristiano Costantini <cr...@gmail.com>.
oh yes the output of the issue give info but it is not easy to read (one
long unformatted line) and only gives infos on the first missing
requirement...
I find it easier to install the bundle anyway and use the headers command.

An example of what I mean...

If I hack a camel feature (I modify
the system/org/apache/camel/karaf/apache-camel/2.16.2/apache-camel-2.16.2-features.xml
file) and comment the other features it depends on like in this picture:
   http://i.imgur.com/IFiIKTq.png

Then I (first refresh the camel feature repo and then) I try to install
this feature, the resolver output this kind of error:
   http://i.imgur.com/cRhWyuR.png
which only partially covers the issues in the feature...

So usually I install manually all the bundles and inspect the one that
won't start with the headers command, and the output is this:
   http://i.imgur.com/0LxNEBB.png

When it was possible to use the -c options, I didn't need to install
manually each bundle...

I would love an option like "-f" that is used to force the installation of
the bundles in the feature even if the resolver fails...

Thank you for the interest,
Cristiano

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--