Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net> on 2011/05/06 00:28:31 UTC

Testing the limits of non-Java Solr

What's the probability that I can build a non-trivial Solr app without writing any Java?

I've been planning to use Solr, Lucene, and existing plug-ins, and sort of hoping not to write any Java (the app itself is Ruby / Rails). The dox (such as http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FAQ) seem encouraging. [I *can* write Java, but my planning's all been "no Java."]

I'm just beginning the design work in earnest, and I suddenly notice that it seems every mail thread, blog, or example starts out Java-free, but somehow ends up involving Java code. I'm not sure I yet understand all these snippets; conceivably some of the Java I see could just as easily be written in another language, but it makes me wonder. Is it realistic to plan a sizable Solr application without some Java programming?

I know, I know, I know: everything depends on the details. I'd be interested even in anecdotes: has anyone ever achieved this before? Also, what are the clues I should look for that I need to step into the Java realm? I understand, for example, that it's possible to write filters and tokenizers to do stuff not available in any standard one; in this case, the clue would be "I can't find what I want in the standard list," I guess. Are there other things I should look for?

-==-
Jack Repenning
Technologist
Codesion Business Unit
CollabNet, Inc.
8000 Marina Boulevard, Suite 600
Brisbane, California 94005
office: +1 650.228.2562
twitter: http://twitter.com/jrep

Re: Testing the limits of non-Java Solr

Posted by William Bell <bi...@gmail.com>.
Yeah you don't need Java to use Solr. PHP, Curl, Python, HTTP Request
APIs all work fine.

The purpose of Solr is to wrap Lucene into a REST-like API that anyone
can call using HTTP.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
You've hit it right on the head... if you can use the standard
analyzers/filters/etc, you're in good shape.

You have to process the output (xml, json, whatever) as Otis
says, but that's in whatever language your app server uses.

But when was the last time you were motivated to write a blog
post like "just used the package and it all worked" :). Perhaps
one of the things you're seeing is that people are motivated
to write about the nifty parts of what they do... Coupled with
the fact that people write to the users' list exactly because they
can't make the standard stuff do their particular task.

It's nice to know you *can* extend it with plugins for those gnarly
situations though.

So I say "go for it"!

Best
Erick