Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Mark Swanson <ma...@ScheduleWorld.com> on 2004/03/08 15:43:51 UTC

Bug? Too many recipients?

Hello,

I'm sending out notice to my ScheduleWorld clients that a new release is
available. (It's not spam as they agreed to receive these notifications)

It seems there is a bug in James in that it batches too many recipients to a
particular domain and that domain's SMTP server responds with:

Remote mail server told me: 552 Too many recipients
;
  nested exception is:
        class javax.mail.SendFailedException: 552 Too many recipients
;
  nested exception is:
        class javax.mail.SendFailedException: 552 Too many recipients
;

F.E. a number of hotmail.com users have signed up and it looks like James is
trying to do a good thing by grouping some of the hotmail.com users into a
batch - but the batch is too large and it is rejected.

I couldn't find any settings in config.xml that would affect this. Any
work-around?

Thanks.

--
VoIP SIP:266368@fwd.pulver.com
Free calendar client and server - works with Exchange/Outlook

Remote mail access

Posted by Marc de Oliveira <Ma...@deOliveira.dk>.
Hi,

I just realized that my software for remote access to my James mail server
(IA WebMail) does not support authentication, hence my James mail server
must have been quite easy to use as a relay... :-(.

Anyway, what software do you recommend for remote email access (POP3 and
SMTP) to James?

- Marc de Oliveira

Re: Bug? Too many recipients?

Posted by Mark Swanson <ma...@ScheduleWorld.com>.
On March 9, 2004 8:49 pm, Bosco So wrote:
> Where does james determine whether to batch a bunch of emails? Is it in
> the RemoteDelivery mailet?
>
> How does james do this batching? Does it look at the outbound queue to
> determine whether a bunch of messages should go to the same domain?

I assume by domain, possibly by MX record if it takes the time upfront.
I think the source code is your only source for this info unless some kind
soul who knows finds the time to answer.

Cheers.

RE: Bug? Too many recipients?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Where does james determine whether to batch a bunch of emails?
> Is it in the RemoteDelivery mailet?

It just processes whatever is attached to the mail object.

	--- Noel

P.S.  Please turn off HTML e-mail

Re: Bug? Too many recipients?

Posted by Bosco So <bo...@despammed.com>.
It seems there is a bug in James in that it batches too

many recipients to a particular domain and that domain's

SMTP server responds with:

Not a bug.  A limitation regarding an anti-spam measure taken by the
remote

server.

There is no setting for this, although there are plans to support it in

future update.  Feel free to enter Jira issue.

RE: Bug? Too many recipients?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> If the error message about too many recipients occurs in the
> SMTP-connection you should be able to code the RemoteDelivery
> to handle it

If the server is behaving correctly, section 4.5.3.1 of RFC 2821 should
apply.  JavaMail conforms to that RFC, so he should be able to turn partial
sending on.  Partial sending is available in all James 2.2 test builds.

> just keep halving the number of recipients to that domain and retry
> until it goes through. Worst case is n + log n connections.

The specification says that you send RCPT TO commands until the server says
that you have reached the limit.  The server must accept the ones already
received, and the client removes them from its list.

As I said, this was a limitation in James before send partial was enabled.
It also becomes moot when we deal with VERP for mailing lists.

	--- Noel

Re: Bug? Too many recipients?

Posted by tobe <to...@swipnet.se>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>OK. If I want to work around this it seems I have to build something
>>that sits in front of James to accept new messages, sort by domain
>>and slowly dispatch emails with similar domains
>>

>That would not be helpful.  See
>http://wiki.apache.org/james/JamesV3/HighVolume for some discussion on
>changes related to remote delivery.  Also, the mailing list manager will end
>up impacting remote delivery (probably with a specialized delivery agent)
>because of VERP, which also renders your problem moot.
>
>	--- Noel

I don't know much about this but here is an idea:

If the error message about too many recipients occurs in the
SMTP-connection you should be able to code the RemoteDelivery to handle
it, just keep halving the number of recipients to that domain and retry
until it goes through. Worst case is n + log n connections.

This could alternately be achieved by a mailet in the error-processor,
splitting the recipients list of a message with that error in half and
putting two messages to remote delivery instead. Worst-case: 2n attempts.

This would at least get the messages through even if it takes extra
time, and perhaps it might complicate some other things that are
currently done to handle mailing-list messages.

You can store a known value per domain and use that value next time. If
you can preconfigure, great, otherwise one of the above schemes should
enable auto-configuration.

Personally, I would prefer RemoteDelivery to be as stupid as possible
and leave all sorts of retry-decisions to a mailet-pipeline.

/tobe

RE: Bug? Too many recipients?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: Bug? Too many recipients?

Posted by Mark Swanson <ma...@ScheduleWorld.com>.
On March 8, 2004 1:39 pm, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > It seems there is a bug in James in that it batches too
> > many recipients to a particular domain and that domain's
> > SMTP server responds with:
>
> Not a bug.  A limitation regarding an anti-spam measure taken by the remote
> server.
>
> There is no setting for this, although there are plans to support it in a
> future update.  Feel free to enter Jira issue.

OK. If I want to work around this it seems I have to build something that sits
in front of James to accept new messages, sort by domain and slowly dispatch
emails with similar domains to James so James doesn't batch like domains into
batches that are too large.
Does that sound right?

Thanks.

RE: Bug? Too many recipients?