Posted to dev@corinthia.apache.org by Dorte Fjalland <do...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/07 00:35:46 UTC

Corinthia web and social media

Hi all, Happy New Year. I can see that there has been some
correspondence now re. the Corinthia  web/social media strategies and the
content so far proposed. I prefer to comment in a new post as I would not
know where else to reply.

I made the current web proposal based on my understanding that the project
needed like a kind of "sales brochure" aimed at getting committers from
other Apache projects involved in Corinthia and therefore a site that would
be easy to overview and containing basic/essential information and with
links to all the serious and detailed stuff to be found in wikis etc.

Reading the various mail threads i get the impression that maybe the
community should find out who they want to reach and then decide the tools.
Re the fb page and the Twitter the members who are active on those medias
can be editors/admins and provide content, but again, you can do this with
the intention of attracting new people and or a way of communicating ( in
public and with the purpose of attracting attention/new people).

I am sorry to read that the web site proposal has been seen as a private
and already agreed on job. This was not the intention. Anyhow, if some of
you don't know it, then Jan is my husband and we do talk ... also about
Corinthia. Before I retired to Southern Spain together with Jan I used to
work with web journalism and information strategies.

All for now, looking forward to hearing your comments.
Dorte

Re: Corinthia web and social media

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.
If you’re curious about the choice of C (over Java) BTW, it’s because the code was developed for iOS, which does not support Java. I use the library in an iOS app that I develop (and will be doing more apps this year, which will utilise the library), so any Java code would not work.

I think it’s unfortunate that Java is no longer a viable choice for cross-platform code, but Apple’s sway in the industry has made it so. C, C++, and Javascript seem to be the only viable choices.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 8 January 2015 at 00:29, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2015, at 1:36 AM, jan i wrote:
>
> > On 7 January 2015 at 04:25, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Dennis,
> >>
> >> I like your style. I'll introduce myself to those who don't know me in
> the
> >> near future.
> >>
> >> What I am grasping for is documentation on the architecture and how Java
> >> based libraries like Apache POI and PDFBox would fit with Corinthia.
> Once I
> >> can understand this then I might be able to lean in with help with
> Office
> >> and PDF.
> >>
> > Hi Dave
> >
> > Welcome aboard. Looking forward to work together with you on this
> project.
> >
> > When Peter and I meet, I looked into especially POI because I think there
> > is a lot we can use there. Peter taught me the benefit of having pure C
> > code due to the different platforms. Without it being written in stone, I
> > as developer, would find it very difficult accepting a second programming
> > language, or the requirement of needing a java runtime. Having said
> that, I
> > have been thinking about if there are java->C converters we could use.
>
> I can see a benefit to one language, but that may really be about how
> tightly coupled the architecture really is and if it is modular enough to
> allow for different languages in the conversion tool chain.
>
> In my case I am thinking about (PDF,PPTX) -> HTML5(SVG) -> Corinthia
> enabled edits -> Responsive and/or Collaborative Presentation.

this could be a use case for only using the editor, which uses HTML5.

> I have various tools to do conversions I guess I want to do my own convert
> to HTML5 and then have Corinthia help with editing and then handle the
> conversion out.

That sounds like a good idea. And then of course we can do something so you
can start the editor (javascript + docformats library) embedded.

> I know that a C port of POI is not to interesting to me. There is a .NET
> port - https://npoi.codeplex.com/
>
> If Java will work for at least some conversions then I have an argument
> for my work about open sourcing my Osmosis tool that converts PDF into
> HTML5. The cool part is the way shapes and text is regrouped into layout.If
> it had to be in C then I won't get much traction.

Just a few words to describe the complications.

DocFormats is today a static linked C library, it consist of 3 layered
parts (without going into all details):
- At the bottom we have platform/core, that takes care of the data model
(HTML5) and platform dependencies.
- Above that we have the filters, each filter has its own implementation,
so all filters are in parallel
- At the top we the API, the outward facing part of the library (this is by
far not completed).

If you wanted to make a java based filter. You would need to write a
skeleton C filter that can be linked into docformats. The skeleton, would
then need to communicate with the java implementation.

Peter and I discussed making plugable filters a while ago, but decided
against it (for now), because we dont see a lot of different filters.
However now that we are more people working the world might change.

rgds
jan i

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.