Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by "Michael Gentry (Yes, I'm a Contractor)" <mi...@fanniemae.com> on 2006/07/26 19:48:13 UTC

Alternative ROP?

This is a question/topic mainly for Andrus, but if anyone else has ideas,
I'd love to hear them, too.

I've been pondering the idea of building a non-Java ROP interface for
Cayenne ROP (specifically, Objective-C/Cocoa).  I seem to recall a thread
where someone thought it would be possible without *too* much work (all
relative, I'm sure).  Any thoughts on how best to approach this?  I haven't
looked at the ROP stuff in much detail yet (glossed over some of the wiki
docs).  I'm not even sure how many classes would have to be re-implemented.
I'm not too worried about the Hessian stuff, either.  There is an
Objective-C version and, worst case, I could wrap the C++ version.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks,

/dev/mrg
--
I'm Victor. I'm the cleaner.

Re: Re: Alternative ROP?

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.
The keynote didn't mention Core Data at all (yes, I watched it all).
I'm not lucky enough to be at WWDC, so I don't know if they have
panels on CD or are adding new features (and that would be NDA'ed, but
a vague [dis|en]couragement from someone in-the-know about adding this
to Cayenne would be great).  I really want to look into this more,
given a lack of CD support for real databases, but I'm not certain how
quickly I can get to it.

/dev/mrg

PS. Comments always welcome!

Re: Alternative ROP?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Alternative ROP?

Posted by Tore Halset <ha...@pvv.ntnu.no>.

Re: Re: Alternative ROP?

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Alternative ROP?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

RE: Alternative ROP?

Posted by "Gentry, Michael (Contractor)" <mi...@fanniemae.com>.
I thought the WOLips effort was primarily due to Apple's horrible
support of non-OS X WebObjects development?

Believe it or not, EOF used to be a separate product and then eventually
got bundled into WebObjects.  I still have EOF CDs at home (for NeXTstep
-- EOF predated WO).  I am primarily wanting an EOF (or Cayenne ROP)
that can be used within Cocoa applications.  Yeah, Apple has CoreData,
but it isn't the same (can't connect to a real DB).  Maybe it is wishful
thinking on my part, but I'm hoping if OS X can keep gaining market
share, there will be more options to do Cocoa work and if it needs to
hit a database, it sure would be nice to have a good ORM framework for
that access.

/dev/mrg

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

RE: Alternative ROP?