Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "F. Xavier Noria" <fx...@retemail.es> on 2002/04/20 12:33:17 UTC

[OT] Doubt on directories for development

I am working in my first mod_perl real-life project, I would like to ask
you for a directory layout for development.

The fact is that developers in my team have Apache under /usr/local in
Linux machines, but we would prefer to develop as normal users, not as
www or nobody, though that will be the user in production.

What is the standard way to configure things for that? We have created
somehow the Apache directory layout under the root of the project tree
and call httpd -f project_root/conf/httpd.conf, where we customize the
user and group (in my case fxn), full paths to log and pid files
writable but that user, etc. but ServerRoot is /usr/local/apache and the
original modules under /usr/local/apache are there, so we cannot use
$r->server_root_relative to access, say, to application config files
which seems to be standard (and quite natural) idiom. The httpd.conf in
CVS is a template customized once per-machine with a script.

I would appreciate any hint very much, we could begin right with a good
layout next Monday.

Thank you very much!

-- fxn

Re: [OT] Doubt on directories for development

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@perl.org>.
On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, F. Xavier Noria wrote:

> I am working in my first mod_perl real-life project, I would like to ask
> you for a directory layout for development.
>
> The fact is that developers in my team have Apache under /usr/local in
> Linux machines, but we would prefer to develop as normal users, not as
> www or nobody, though that will be the user in production.
>
> What is the standard way to configure things for that?

I usually just setup an httpd.conf (and apachectl) for the user and
then use mod_proxy to forward requests for the virtualhost to
whatever high port the user is using.

The serverroot is set to be /home/user/apache and the libexec
directory symlinked from /usr/local/apache/libexec (or wherever the
"system apache" is installed).

 - ask

--
ask bjoern hansen, http://ask.netcetera.dk/   !try; do();