Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Shuhab Hussain <sh...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/11 14:55:55 UTC

Rating interval for estimatePreference() for SVDRecommender()

Hello guys

I have tried to search the mailing list for some information regarding my
question, but to no avail.

I am trying to build a SVD recommender based on SVD++.
My ratings are in the range of 1 to 5.

I would like to test how well my recommender is using MAE, and for this I
thought I could use the ratings predictions from the recommender.

Using the estimatePreference method for SVDRecommender I had expected to
receive ratings estimates in the same range, but this is not the case. Some
are above 8.

Is this normal behaviour? If so, any suggestions on how to rescale the
estimates to my original scale. Should I normalize or perhaps just cap the
predicted ratings?

Kind regards,
Shuhab.