Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jim Moy <ge...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/02 18:10:13 UTC

Newbie Windows install comment

Hi everyone, James-newbie here.

Just thought I'd relay my experience as an out-of-the-box user on
Windows.  Took me a couple of hours to figure out what was going on.
Initially it looked as if James was the perfect project for my needs,
but I almost gave up because I couldn't figure out how to get a
config.xml file.  Here's what happened:

- Running on WinXP/SP2, j2re 1.4.2_01
- Unpacked james-2.2.0.zip into F:\Utils\Java\james-2.2.0
- Command Prompt window on F:\Utils\Java\james-2.2.0\bin
- Gave command ".\run.bat"
- Output looked good according to the README and wiki QuickStart

Here's where my trouble begain:
- In the Command Prompt I hit Ctrl-C
- Output: "JVM exiting abnormally. Shutting down Phoenix."

So that looked okay, but little did I realize that shutting it down
this way causes the apps\james\SAR-INF directory to get cleaned up.
But only the first time I run and terminated this way!  I finally
happened to be looking in the right directory when James was up after
I did a "shutdown" via the telnet admin, and the SAR-INF directory
remained.  In this case, Ctrl-C terminations don't delete the SAR-INF
directory.  In an NT Command Prompt, the same "exiting abnormally"
message appears no matter which way termination happens.

I know, I know, "here's a nickel kid, get a real operating system..."
Which to my chagrin is impossible in my employment situation.

Maybe I should've been spelunking a bit earlier in the process, maybe
I missed a page on the wiki or on the Jakarta site.  But I feel like
I'm a pretty experienced developer (18 years, 5 on Java), and the
initial uptake on James because of the Phoenix "generate the config"
step almost lost me altogether.  Shouldn't be this way.

But now I'm happily ensconsed in James.  Thanks to all the developers
for their contributions to this project; I look forward to getting my
fingers deeper into it for my app's mail needs.  So much code I would
otherwise have to be writing myself...

Jim Moy

Re: Newbie Windows install comment

Posted by Jim Moy <ge...@gmail.com>.
On 5/4/05, Hes Siemelink <he...@izecom.com> wrote:
> I'm afraid that is 'normal' behavior. Don't let this message alarm you.

Figured as much.

> I have been using James on Windows for a while. I have not seen the
> behavior that the SAR-INF directory disappears. Do you wait a while for
> the services to come up before you hit control-C?

Yes, I let it start up and TaskMan says I'm idling.  This only happens
on first run when there is no SAR-INF directory.  Sometimes the
SAR-INF directory goes away, sometimes just the config.xml.  Strange.

> And you have not been installing James in a directory that contains
> spaces, have you?

No, though I am on a non-C: drive (F:).

> Otherwise you could also extract the standard config.xml from the SAR,
> which is just a ZAR (Zip archive ;-).

Now that I'm up and running it doesn't make any difference how I
terminate.  But at least I get this message in the list as a reminder
for myself the next time I'm going "now where did that config.xml file
go?" :-)

Thanks for your reply.  I'm making progress on my custom
matchers/mailets.  We plan to be putting an email-based application
into service soon.

Jim

Re: Newbie Windows install comment

Posted by Hes Siemelink <he...@izecom.com>.
Jim Moy wrote:
> Hi everyone, James-newbie here.
>
> Just thought I'd relay my experience as an out-of-the-box user on
> Windows.  Took me a couple of hours to figure out what was going on.

> Here's where my trouble begain:
> - In the Command Prompt I hit Ctrl-C
> - Output: "JVM exiting abnormally. Shutting down Phoenix."

I'm afraid that is 'normal' behavior. Don't let this message alarm you.

I have been using James on Windows for a while. I have not seen the
behavior that the SAR-INF directory disappears. Do you wait a while for
the services to come up before you hit control-C?

And you have not been installing James in a directory that contains
spaces, have you?

Otherwise you could also extract the standard config.xml from the SAR,
which is just a ZAR (Zip archive ;-).

Good luck,

	Hes.