Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Shirley Keddy <SK...@edutech.org> on 2004/02/10 20:01:37 UTC

newbie? Response Assertions not finding Flash elements and data-driven text

I'm a new user to JMeter and haven't yet been able to pull together
enough information about how to use JMeter in order to automate our
website use case tests. Oh, and I'm not a programmer - I can read
ColdFusion code and understand it however have difficulty creating it.
(Thankfully, I have top notch programmers on the team.)

I have used BadBoy software to create the walk-through of a use case
and then exported it to JMeter. Then I go through and add both a
Response Assertions (searching for particular text on that page) and an
Assertion Result to each HTTP Request .

Where I'm running into difficulty is that many of our pages consist of
either a Flash graphical menu or a data pulled from the database. And
the Assertion Result is not picking up those elements. Is there another
type of Assertion I should be using? Or are there suggestions on how to
setup the Assertion in order to find those elements?

Thanks in advance
Shirley

Re: newbie? Response Assertions not finding Flash elements and data-driven text

Posted by Jordi Salvat i Alabart <js...@atg.com>.
I don't think Response Assertions are capable of working INSIDE flash
code -- Response Assertions are designed for textual data, and this
flash files are, AFAIK, radically binary.

As for the data pulled from the database, as far as it is retrieved from
the server using an HTTP request and it is in some form of textual
format, you should be able to use Response Assertions on it. It can
happen, however, that BadBoy (sorry I'm not familiar with it) is not
creating the corresponding HTTP Samplers -- you may need to create them
manually or use JMeter's HTTP Proxy instead.

--
Salut,

Jordi.

Posted by Ryo Sode <ry...@filemaker.com>.
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I usually insert Assertion Results listenr
under each thread instead of each HTTP sampler. I still have Response
Assertion under each HTTP sampler though...

Ryo