Posted to user@beam.apache.org by Gláucia Esppenchutz <gl...@apache.org> on 2023/11/17 16:42:20 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Apache Diversity & Apache Beam Good First Issues

Dear Apache Beam community,

My name is Gláucia and I work in the Diversity initiative in Apache Org.
We are setting up a project to engage more volunteers in Apache, and bring
more diversity and inclusion to our community.

This project aims to incentivize other Apache projects to adopt the "Good
First Issues" tag in their less complex issues, making people more
comfortable and welcome to contribute.

However, before starting it, we wanted to hear your experience using this
tag in GitHub. Do people use this as a first step to start contributing to
the project?
Do you think it breaks a barrier and makes people feel less intimidated to
contribute?

This feedback will be very important to us to understand how to conduct the
project and encourage minorities who are frequently afraid to take the
first step in an open-source project contribution.

Many thanks in advance.

Gláucia

Re: [DISCUSSION] Apache Diversity & Apache Beam Good First Issues

Posted by Danny McCormick via user <us...@beam.apache.org>.
Hey Gláucia, we do use the "good first issue" label. In my experience I've
seen mixed results with it - sometimes it is a good starting point, other
times folks self-assign the issues and then never make progress on them. It
is also challenging to enforce a consistent quality of "good first issue"
(some may end up being too hard, and the easier ones are the first to go
anyways). Overall, I think it probably helps, but definitely doesn't fully
solve the problem. Anecdotally, I think people tend to get better traction
when they come to the repo with a specific problem to solve that they've
encountered using Beam, though obviously that's a much more narrow funnel.

Thanks,
Danny