Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Prashant Castelino <pn...@uwo.ca> on 2002/10/02 01:38:31 UTC

Incorporation of SVG into X-Smiles

Hello,

This is a message intended for those interested in the incorporation of
SVG into the X-Smiles browser.  As a graduating student, I am currently
fulfilling the requirements for the final year of computer engineering at
the University of Western Ontario in London, Ontario, Canada.  I have
chosen, as my final year project, the task of integrating the SVG
(Scalable Vector Graphics) format into the X-Smiles browser
architecture.  The project spans a period of approximately 5 months from
October 2002 to February 2003, at the end of which I am required to submit
my work to the engineering department for review and grading.

I shall briefly outline my scheme.  At present, I am aware of an
open-source development used to perform the processing of SVG content.  It
is known as Batik, and is no doubt familiar to many.  My goal, in a
nutshell, is to extract the component within Batik responsible for
processing SVG content and transplant it within X-Smiles.

I have declared within my project proposal that the following steps are to
be completed:

1)  Sufficient study of the architectures of Batik and X-Smiles is to be
undertaken to gain familiarity with the product designs.

2)  The current script engines within Batik and X-Smiles are to be
removed.  They are to be replaced by the BSF script engine, which supports
standard script interfaces such as JavaScript, Python and Ruby.

3)  Once the BSF script engine is in place, the SVG rendering component of
Batik is to be incorporated into the architecture of X-Smiles.

4)  A rendering manager is to be built into X-Smiles.  Upon encountering
SVG content, this manager will invoke the SVG rendering component to
render the graphic data.  Similarly, the manager will invoke the non-SVG
rendering component to render the non-graphic content as it is encountered
in a document.

Having had no prior experience with either Batik or X-Smiles, or any kind
of real world software architecture development, I have one request.  I
ask for your full support in helping me achieve this goal.  I will
probably have many questions that I would need to have answered, and I
would like you to guide me as much as possible.  I understand that the
proper completion of this endeavour would benefit the open-source
community at large, and am willing to expend the effort and time required
to make it reality.  Thank you.

Prashant Castelino