Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Toke Eskildsen <te...@statsbiblioteket.dk> on 2016/11/23 09:14:05 UTC

Re: Future of FieldCache in Solr

On Wed, 2016-10-26 at 13:05 +0000, Adrien Grand wrote:
> But we seem to still care a lot about uninverting, which does
> not make sense to me since everybody should have moved to doc values
> already?

I might have missed something here, but doesn't such a switch mean that
it will no longer be possible to facet on Text fields?

We facet on 3 Text fields in our core index: Title, Author and
Location. All of these fields use a KeywordTokenizer and multiple steps
of normalising the input. It seems like quite an obvious setup, so I
would guess that it is not uncommon.

How would this scenario be supported if uninversion is removed?

- Toke Eskildsen, State and University Library, Denmark

Re: Future of FieldCache in Solr

Posted by Ryan Josal <rj...@gmail.com>.
We use Toke's scenario in a couple places too. We are capable writing a URP
that does it, but it feels dirty, and replacing config with code seems like
something it makes sense to avoid.

Having top level support of some kind of analysis in URP or somewhere else
can also help in other situations where you want some analysis before it
goes in a non-TextField.

Ryan

Posted by Toke Eskildsen <te...@statsbiblioteket.dk>.

Posted by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com>.
This is supported at the Lucene level via SortedSetDocValues.  Solr doesn't
yet support this for its TextField --
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8362   however you could work
around this with an URP or copyField or perhaps subclassing TextField so
that you can tokenize the text a second time to generate a list
of SortedSetDocValuesField.  Probably least painless is to use another
field.
~ David