Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2018/10/22 17:27:18 UTC

Anyone feel challenged to help us out PLC4C? (PLC4X for C/C++-type libraries)

Hi all,

as I’m currently at the OSS Summit Europe, a lot of people are walking through the hallways, that have a closer relationship to the hardware.
So most projects here are sort of demanding C-type libraries. Especially there is one project, which I really liked from the sounds of it:
EdgeX Foundary … https://www.edgexfoundry.org/about/

I talked to one of the people from that project, and they agree that PLC4X would be a great addition.
However it would probably have to be a C style driver.

Anyone here on the list that could help us get started with this?
I mean on the Java side, I stated having a look at all sorts of Frameworks for building IO Drivers. I started with Apache Mina, switched over to Netty.
So I guess we would have to sort of do something similar on the C/C++/whateverthatoutputsClibs side. I’m completely blank on that page.
So even if you might not want to start working on this, some pointers guiding us to similar Frameworks would be super-helpful.
If you’re able and willing to help, of course this would be even better.

On a long-term perspective, I would like to start documenting the different protocols using things like DFDL and have the Java and C clients generated from that.
But still we would need some basic framework skeleton in place for every supported language.

Help wanted and highly appreciated on this base.

Chris

Re: Anyone feel challenged to help us out PLC4C? (PLC4X for C/C++-type libraries)

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
I found this framework: Wangle
https://github.com/facebook/wangle

"Wangle is a library that makes it easy to build protocols, application clients, and application servers.

It's like Netty + Finagle smooshed together, but in C++"

And it's Apache licensed.

Sounds promising,
Chris

Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36> herunterladen