Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by cor ses <no...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/31 03:20:08 UTC

Re: -----HEEEELLLLLLLP ...

It appears the other guy didn't even comprehend my email--I DID REGISTER.
But what's the point if there's no way to post a question?
*HOW DO WE POST A QUESTION* after we've logged in (as I wasted time doing
and searched EVERYWHERE IN THE FORUM)?

It seems each year OO collapses more easily.
If i paste even more than 1 screenshot, i'm never sure if it will save or
freeze up.
That's tough.
I'm using Windows 10 and the newest OO and the McAfee that comes with a
computer.

Also I've had docs I AM SURE I SAVED PROPERLY turn into # the next time i
open them.
I read your answers when I Googled solutions but it was meaningless
gibberish--total waste of time along with being frazzling. I wouldn't
expect you to know ANY of the terms used in my fields of expertise.

Sure would appreciate knowing how to rectify these w/o having to become an
expert in YOUR tech area.

Thank you for any help that really HELPS.

Re: -----HEEEELLLLLLLP ...

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 19:20:08 -0800
cor ses <no...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It appears the other guy didn't even comprehend my email--I DID REGISTER.
> But what's the point if there's no way to post a question?

You didn't inform Hagar of your registration name, so it wasn't possible to check if you had activated the account; non-activation is possibly a reason why you cannot post a question.

> *HOW DO WE POST A QUESTION* after we've logged in (as I wasted time doing
> and searched EVERYWHERE IN THE FORUM)?
>
> It seems each year OO collapses more easily.
> If i paste even more than 1 screenshot, i'm never sure if it will save or
> freeze up.
> That's tough.
> I'm using Windows 10 and the newest OO and the McAfee that comes with a
> computer.

It can happen that the OpenOffice user profile becomes corrupt, which can cause instability.  The cure for this is to delete or rename the old user profile; OO will then generate a new profile on next startup.

Details of the User Profile for various operating systems
are given in

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... 74&t=12426

If you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer
Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a
good choice. Start OpenOffice.

If that does not improve stability, start Windows in Safe Mode.  If OO runs stable in Windows safe mode the culprit is some program or driver that runs in Windows normal mode, which program or driver is interfering with OpenOffice. Common culprits are Skype, Anti virus, continuous backup programs and utilities which monitor the Clipboard.  To locate the culprit needs systematic detective work on the affected computer.

> Also I've had docs I AM SURE I SAVED PROPERLY turn into # the next time i
> open them.

If one is over-hasty in powering down or sleeping the computer after OO has been closed, this interrupts OO's internal housekeeping and causes file corruption.  One should go through the operating system's power down procedure and wait some few extra seconds for the software/hardware data buffers to flush.  Hardware databuffers are in the hard disk drives - if power is removed from these (by computer power down), such data may not be written to disk, hence the #### display of the blank area prepared for, but not used by, the data.

> I read your answers when I Googled solutions but it was meaningless
> gibberish--total waste of time along with being frazzling. I wouldn't
> expect you to know ANY of the terms used in my fields of expertise.

If I needed to know such terms I'd find out.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: -----HEEEELLLLLLLP ...

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.