Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/01 02:43:31 UTC

Re: Help with converting existing ant build to maven is required - forking

Thanks for your time

I have started with making red5 "provided" but the build failed since
necessary classes were not found.
May be is there any way to provide dependency before build ...

If not I will try to create optional dependency and another one subproject,
not sure if it will work.

I believe the blog article would be better if you can extend it a little
bit and improve the formatting. Actually I can't se how it can help me :(

Thanks for the help :)

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Help with converting existing ant build to maven is required - forking

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
If there are specific suggestions or questions about the maven blog
articles (from anyone), I would be grateful to have them.
They were written rather quickly to explain a technique that we found
useful. People may have to read more than one of the maven articles to
get the gist of what we do.

Some of the more experienced and knowledgeable people in this forum have
some reservations about our approach so I would hesitate to propose it
as a "Best practice" but it does address the problem that you are facing
in a way that works in a team environment (small team)
and achieves the objects that we sought
- faster maven build (install,deploy),
- small wars (only our code),
- easy deployment (fewer shared libraries)
- shorter and simpler pom dependency specifications and
- complete management control over versions of third party libraries.

Ron

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Never used "optional".
What classes were missing when you used "provided"?
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-dependency-mechanism.html
mentions that the transitive dependencies are not available if you use
provided.
You will have to add any dependencies that your code calls that are not
part of Red5 but are also used by Red5.

This is a good idea anyway since it documents what libraries your code
actually uses.
You may want to use a more recent version than the one that Red5 does.

Ron

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
WBR