Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by fp...@apache.org on 2021/04/16 13:01:39 UTC

[DISCUSS] - Rename master branch

Hi,

I would like to propose to rename all of our git branches as main on all
of our branches:

- https://github.com/apache/shiro

- https://github.com/apache/shiro-site

Any objections?

regards,

--
François
fpapon@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] - Rename master branch

Posted by fp...@apache.org.
Hi Arthur,

Sending -1 without any explaination won't help :)

regards,

François
fpapon@apache.org

Posted by Arthur Okeke <ar...@gmail.com>.
-1

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 9:01 AM <fp...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose to rename all of our git branches as main on all
> of our branches:
>
> - https://github.com/apache/shiro
>
> - https://github.com/apache/shiro-site
>
> Any objections?
>
> regards,
>
> --
> François
> fpapon@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] - Rename master branch

Posted by fp...@apache.org.
Thanks to all!

I created the Jira to infra to move forward on this.

<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-21748>

regards,

François
fpapon@apache.org

Posted by Benjamin Marwell <bm...@apache.org>.
+1

… to keep it synced with other projects which already switched to 'main'.
Such a change does not have any negative impacts from what I can see.

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
Also +1.

Colm.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

Posted by Erik Beeson <er...@gmail.com>.
I'm a middle-aged white male. I don't think anything I have to say about
this should necessarily carry any weight.

I'm uncomfortable with the change because, imho, it retcons what the word
has meant in this context. Nothing about this word in this context has ever
had anything to do with the usage of the word that people find offensive,
and to make the change could appear as a mea culpa that could be
misinterpreted as accepting that the word, in this context, has any
relationship to the offensive context. The word continues to have plenty of
acceptable uses that have no association with the offensive element (e.g.
"chessmaster" or "master cellist"), and this is one of those cases.

Having said that, I'm not opposed to the change for two reasons:

   1. I want to see our field be as inclusive as it can possibly be. While
   I may disagree with the social issue that's been made out of what I judge
   to be a misunderstanding of the vernacular context, given that this is
   where we are I would hate to see *not* making the change be interpreted
   as any sort of hostility to anyone that might want to be involved with the
   project.
   2. Solidarity. Similar to how it's not practically useful to shave one's
   hair when a close family member or friend is going through chemo, I can
   respect that there is value in demonstrating support for a well-meaning
   cause.

tl;dr: non-binding, I support the change, not because I think there is
anything wrong with how it is currently, but because I can see how some
people might misinterpret *not* making the change as a statement that we
aren't trying to make.

Good luck,
Erik