Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by patrick andries <pa...@videotron.ca> on 2002/06/06 16:03:29 UTC

Status on http://xml.apache.org/fop/index.html

I think it was about a month ago, a status section was added to the FOP main page. A good idea.

Four questions :

1) Could it be possible to add a date to this status : "[last updated xx-March-2002]" ?

2) Could it be possible to move this section higher ? It is difficult to spot.

3) What does the following paragraph mean ?

« Development for 1.0DR1 is addressing the design issues for layout and performance. This is focusing on making it possible to be conformant to the spec and be able to handle large documents. This is roughly 30% towards a developers release that should have: similar functionality to previous FOP releases, a rough API and a suitable design for developers to work on more functionality.  »

What  is « roughly 30% towards » ? The work already done or the 1.0DR 1 ? Could this sentence please be rewritten ?

4) What has changed in the last month ? (I.e. could we get at least a monthly update if we must live with «The timing of these events depends on progress made so it is not possible to predict any dates » ?)

Re: Status on http://xml.apache.org/fop/index.html

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.
On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 15:14, patrick andries wrote:
> [PA] Don't take my remarks wrong : I don't mind not having much information,
> I just don't want to be misled. I do simply not understand the sentence.

> end up when it ends (and we have no idea when) with 30% of the current
> functionality (« this is roughly 30%» ...« similar functionality to the
> previous FOP releases » ? If this is not what you intend some people to
> understand, the sentence should be rewritten.

No, that's not what it means.
It says "This [the Development for 1.0DR1] is roughly 30% towards a
developers release"

then..

"that [the release] should have: similar functionality to previous FOP
releases, a rough API and a suitable design for developers to work on
more functionality."

So we are 30% towards a developers release.
The functionality should be similar to previous releases.

I'll try to rewrite it.

> [PA] In fact, about two to three months ago I voluntereed (I was between
> jobs) and no one answered. Now I'm rather taken by my new job, but my
> employer will be happy  to help implement features if there is a least a
> chance of a release sometimes (I have stated several times that we want line
> numbering(*), for instance, for our government customers).

I'm not sure how to answer this.
Yes it is good that you offered to do something. The problem is to
expect someone to answer at that time to say they *want* what you are
offering to do. With open source I would suggest that things work the
other way around.
If you do something and make it available then people will want it by
using it and contributing to it.
I'm sure there are articles around that explain it much better.

Ultimately it is up to you and how much time/effort you have to spare.
Don't take silence as a negative. It is better to make specific
suggestions and code.

Well, I hope there will be a (redesign) release sometime :)

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to make the status a bit better.

Posted by patrick andries <pa...@videotron.ca>.

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.
On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 16:03, patrick andries wrote:
> I think it was about a month ago, a status section was added to the FOP main page. A good idea.
>
> Four questions :
>
> 1) Could it be possible to add a date to this status : "[last updated xx-March-2002]" ?

Yes

> 2) Could it be possible to move this section higher ? It is difficult to spot.

Would a page of its own be good enough?

> 3) What does the following paragraph mean ?
>
> « Development for 1.0DR1 is addressing the design issues for layout and performance. This is focusing on making it possible to be conformant to the spec and be able to handle large documents. This is roughly 30% towards a developers release that should have: similar functionality to previous FOP releases, a rough API and a suitable design for developers to work on more functionality.  »

It means we don't know but we are working on it.

> What  is « roughly 30% towards » ? The work already done or the 1.0DR 1 ? Could this sentence please be rewritten ?

It is a rough estimate that gives a bit of information without really
saying much.
Do you want less information so you aren't tempted to make predictions
or do you want more information that will end up being wrong?

> 4) What has changed in the last month ? (I.e. could we get at least a monthly update if we must live with «The timing of these events depends on progress made so it is not possible to predict any dates » ?)

Are you volunteering to help out with this?

Do you think this would be that useful at the moment?