Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by David Jourard <cg...@bytesinteractive.com> on 2000/06/19 21:58:57 UTC

Help to pinpoint installation problem.

Hi,

I've done a little mod_perl last year but forget very quickly and I'm
requesting some guidance to tell me where to start pinpointing a problem.

I'm looking at an application that is supposedly running mod_perl.

I"ve just started going thru the mod_perl Guide by Stas Bekman.

It showed that if the environment variable GATEWAY_INTERFACE IS
CGI-Perl/1.1 then all is okey BUT if its  CGI/1.1 , its not running mod_perl.

In the guide it says "it means that you have configured this location to run
under mod_cgi and not mod_perl."

My question - where do I start looking to change this to mod_perl and get
it fixed.

Is this a basic installation problem or is it configuration in the one of
the .conf files such as httpd.conf

Also whats mod_cgi?

Thank-you in advance for your help.

regards
David

Re: Help to pinpoint installation problem.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, David Jourard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've done a little mod_perl last year but forget very quickly and I'm
> requesting some guidance to tell me where to start pinpointing a problem.
>
> I'm looking at an application that is supposedly running mod_perl.
>
> I"ve just started going thru the mod_perl Guide by Stas Bekman.
>
> It showed that if the environment variable GATEWAY_INTERFACE IS
> CGI-Perl/1.1 then all is okey BUT if its  CGI/1.1 , its not running mod_perl.
>
> In the guide it says "it means that you have configured this location to run
> under mod_cgi and not mod_perl."
>
> My question - where do I start looking to change this to mod_perl and get
> it fixed.

httpd.conf:

  Alias /perl /home/httpd/perl
  <Location /perl>
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler +Apache::Registry
    Options ExecCGI
    allow from all
    PerlSendHeader On
  </Location>

put a script into /home/httpd/perl/test.pl
make it executable/readable by the server
try : http://localhost/perl/test.pl

and please read the documentation... sometimes it helps :)

> Is this a basic installation problem or is it configuration in the one of
> the .conf files such as httpd.conf

configuration I guess, if it'd be an install problem Apache would shout at
you for PerlHandler directive

> Also whats mod_cgi?

It's the module that handles CGI (not mod_perl!) and gets invoked with:

  ScriptAlias /foo /bar/foo

Good luck.

mailto:stas@stason.org   http://perl.org     http://stason.org/TULARC
http://singlesheaven.com http://perlmonth.com http://sourcegarden.org