Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Scott Sanders <sa...@totalsync.com> on 2001/05/03 01:46:16 UTC

[Proposal] Sanbox for Wayward Ant Tasks

As I am trying to polish up the xpath task for acceptance into Ant, I
find that it would be useful to have someplace to work on it whilst it
was a work in progress.

Also, many tasks are not directly accepted into the Ant distro because
they are very specific to a particular purpose.

I would like to propose that the Ant community provide a 'sanbox' cvs
repo for these 2 types of developments.  I proposed this over in
jakarta-commons, but as it is VERY ant specific, it was suggested that I
post it over here.

As a precedent, the Taglibs crew has created a sandbox for the purpose
of unsupported taglibs.

Cheers,
Scott Sanders

Re: [Proposal] Sanbox for Wayward Ant Tasks

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.
> As I am trying to polish up the xpath task for acceptance into Ant, I
> find that it would be useful to have someplace to work on it whilst it
> was a work in progress.
>
> Also, many tasks are not directly accepted into the Ant distro because
> they are very specific to a particular purpose.
>
> I would like to propose that the Ant community provide a 'sanbox' cvs
> repo for these 2 types of developments.  I proposed this over in
> jakarta-commons, but as it is VERY ant specific, it was suggested that I
> post it over here.
>
> As a precedent, the Taglibs crew has created a sandbox for the purpose
> of unsupported taglibs.
>
> Cheers,
> Scott Sanders

+100000 :)
We should make it clear that the tasks in this contrib directory will be
unsupported.
Thanks
Vincent.

Re: [Proposal] Sanbox for Wayward Ant Tasks

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
Scott,

please let me point you to
<http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/ant2/requested-features.txt>,
especially

>> * Ask for a new CVS module for Ant tasks.
>>
>>   We need to define rules for this to work - maybe the rules proposed
>>   for the commons project could give us a start.
>>
>>   [will need more discussion because of vote by Conor MacNeill]
>>
>>   [REJECTED - vetoes by Conor MacNeill and glenn McAllister]

(sorry Glenn, going to fix your name 8-)

The complete thread can be found here
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=98519986700006&w=2&r=1>, the vetoes
are <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=98550510109563&w=2> and
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=98751621900772&w=2>.

Basically, we need to carve out our task library concept before we
want to start a contributed task repository.  Creating one has already
been proposed and rejected, sorry.

Stefan