Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Paul Koning <pk...@equallogic.com> on 2005/09/06 18:00:40 UTC

http: checkout hangs

I just converted a 4 year old CVS repository to Subversion (19,000
revisions, roughly).  That took about a day, with cvs2svn.

I'm now running tests on it to see how it works.  Step 1 is not going
well at all...

The system is a Mac (Tiger/10.4.2).  The repository is FSFS type.
Subversion 1.2.3 is in use, and the latest Apache built from sources.

Checkout via file: URL seems to work, but checkout via http: processes
just a few hundred files, then hangs.  Activity Monitor shows httpd
working very hard (up to 99% cpu, though not solid CPU bound).  After
sitting for 10 minutes or so, svn gives up with a variable error
message.  Once I got a message about some problem with REPORT, the
other time I got a message about an invalid tag in an XML response.

The manual makes me wonder if FSFS is acceptable for repositories with
this many revisions.  Is it?

Should this work on a Mac?

       paul

Re: http: checkout hangs

Posted by Paul Koning <pk...@equallogic.com>.

 Stephen> On Sep 6, 2005, at 11:00 AM, Paul Koning wrote:
 >> I just converted a 4 year old CVS repository to Subversion (19,000
 >> revisions, roughly).  That took about a day, with cvs2svn.
 >>
 >> I'm now running tests on it to see how it works.  Step 1 is not
 >> going well at all...
 >>
 >> The system is a Mac (Tiger/10.4.2).  The repository is FSFS type.
 >> Subversion 1.2.3 is in use, and the latest Apache built from
 >> sources.
 >>
 >> Checkout via file: URL seems to work, but checkout via http:
 >> processes just a few hundred files, then hangs.  Activity Monitor
 >> shows httpd working very hard (up to 99% cpu, though not solid CPU
 >> bound).  After sitting for 10 minutes or so, svn gives up with a
 >> variable error message.  Once I got a message about some problem
 >> with REPORT, the other time I got a message about an invalid tag
 >> in an XML response.
 >>
 >> The manual makes me wonder if FSFS is acceptable for repositories
 >> with this many revisions.  Is it?
 >>
 >> Should this work on a Mac?

 Stephen> Did you build Apache (actually APR) to not use polling?
 Stephen> There is a known issue with 10.4.x and Apache 2.x.

 Stephen> export ac_cv_func_poll=no ./configure ...

No, I didn't do that.

Will try it, thanks.

     paul

Re: http: checkout hangs

Posted by Stephen Davis <su...@soundgeek.org>.
On Sep 6, 2005, at 11:00 AM, Paul Koning wrote:

> I just converted a 4 year old CVS repository to Subversion (19,000
> revisions, roughly).  That took about a day, with cvs2svn.
>
> I'm now running tests on it to see how it works.  Step 1 is not going
> well at all...
>
> The system is a Mac (Tiger/10.4.2).  The repository is FSFS type.
> Subversion 1.2.3 is in use, and the latest Apache built from sources.
>
> Checkout via file: URL seems to work, but checkout via http: processes
> just a few hundred files, then hangs.  Activity Monitor shows httpd
> working very hard (up to 99% cpu, though not solid CPU bound).  After
> sitting for 10 minutes or so, svn gives up with a variable error
> message.  Once I got a message about some problem with REPORT, the
> other time I got a message about an invalid tag in an XML response.
>
> The manual makes me wonder if FSFS is acceptable for repositories with
> this many revisions.  Is it?
>
> Should this work on a Mac?

Did you build Apache (actually APR) to not use polling?  There is a
known issue with 10.4.x and Apache 2.x.

export ac_cv_func_poll=no
./configure ...

Check the list archives for more info (don't have an URL handy at the
moment).

stephen