Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> on 2011/02/10 12:37:08 UTC

Bug in ComponentClassResolverImpl concerning Start pages

There is a bug in ComponentClassResolverImpl that gives a start page as configured with
SymbolConstants.START_PAGE_NAME precedence over an existing Index page in certain cases. If for
example the pages example.pages.exam.ExamIndex and example.pages.exam.StartExam exist, the exam/ URL
will map to StartExam instead of to ExamIndex as one might expect.

The question is: What is the desired behaviour in that case.

Should Start pages other than at the root level be ignored alltogether?

Should index pages in subpackages have precedence over Start pages?

Should Start pages in subpackages have precedence over Index pages?

Uli

Re: Bug in ComponentClassResolverImpl concerning Start pages

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.
I think the best way to figure it out if the change will break any app is to
ask in the users list.

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> wrote:

> Does nobody else want to comment? If there are no objections I'll go ahead
> and remove any start-page
> support from ComponentClassResolverImpl and will make start-pages unusable
> below anything but /.
>
> Uli
>
> On 10.02.2011 14:11, Ulrich Stärk wrote:
> configured with
> in certain cases. If for
> example.pages.exam.StartExam exist, the exam/ URL

> >> +1
> >>

> > That means that pages.foo.StartFoo will never ever be available as
> /pages/foo/ whereas pages.Start,
> > and only that one, will be available as /. Hopefully we won't break any
> existing apps that way...
> >
> > Uli

Best regards,

Igor Drobiazko
http://tapestry5.de

Re: Bug in ComponentClassResolverImpl concerning Start pages

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
<th...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 07:00:09 -0200, Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> wrote:
>
>> Does nobody else want to comment? If there are no objections I'll go ahead
>> and remove any start-page
>> support from ComponentClassResolverImpl and will make start-pages unusable
>> below anything but /.
>
> My vote is to go ahead.

Sure.

--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: Bug in ComponentClassResolverImpl concerning Start pages

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 07:00:09 -0200, Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> wrote:

> Does nobody else want to comment? If there are no objections I'll go
> ahead and remove any start-page
> support from ComponentClassResolverImpl and will make start-pages
> unusable below anything but /.

My vote is to go ahead.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor
http://www.arsmachina.com.br

Re: Bug in ComponentClassResolverImpl concerning Start pages

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 3:37 AM, Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> wrote:
> There is a bug in ComponentClassResolverImpl that gives a start page as configured with
> SymbolConstants.START_PAGE_NAME precedence over an existing Index page in certain cases. If for
> example the pages example.pages.exam.ExamIndex and example.pages.exam.StartExam exist, the exam/ URL
> will map to StartExam instead of to ExamIndex as one might expect.
>
> The question is: What is the desired behaviour in that case.
>
> Should Start pages other than at the root level be ignored alltogether?

+1

> Should index pages in subpackages have precedence over Start pages?

+1

> Should Start pages in subpackages have precedence over Index pages?

The Start page logic should only, IMO, apply to the root path, i.e.,
"/".  If a Start page exists, it should match "/" (with no page
activation context).  Otherwise, it should match the root Index page
(with anything else on the path as page activation context).

> Uli

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210