Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/22 11:21:13 UTC

to brand or not to brand?

Hi,

I'm currently preparing an article on Ivy, and I'd like to know if
it's better to talk about Apache Ivy, or simply Ivy. The rules about
branding are still not clear for me, sorry if I missed an obvious
link.

So, any recommendation or link?

Xavier
Manage your dependencies with Ivy!
http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/

Re: to brand or not to brand?

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Yes, the advice is completely right.

Paul

On 5/22/07, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It makes sense, thanks!
>
> Xavier
>
> On 5/22/07, Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > As I understand it, you need to call it Apache Ivy on first reference,
> > and mention prominently that it is "currently undergoing incubation at
> > the Apache Software Foundation" (or something like that).
> >
> > - Brett

> > > IMHO it'd be good to say "Apache Ivy" in places like the article
> > > title, and just "Ivy" in the article text.
> > >
> > > Like for a car, you'd say "Triumph Spitfire" in the title and just
> > > "the Spitfire" in the text.
> > >
> > > But I don't know if there are more precise rules.
> > >
> > > -Bertrand

> Manage your dependencies with Ivy!
> http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: to brand or not to brand?

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
It makes sense, thanks!

Re: to brand or not to brand?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: to brand or not to brand?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: to brand or not to brand?

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 5/22/07, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mmm, it's still not completely clear. Is the phrase "However, the
> Public Relations Committee MUST review any releases by affiliated
> organizations or groups to ensure they comply with these branding
> guidelines." referring to press release announcing the podling only,
> or to all press releases? Since it seems it's not allowed to issue
> press releases announcing the release, I'd think it's for press
> releases that reference the podling. And that's what my article will
> do, reference the podling.

I think the gist is in the term "Press release". I think a press
release is something other than an article. A press release is
something like "Foo is adopting Apache Ivy in its product line and
providing professional support for it." and send it across the wire,
i.e. an announcement.

This is of course something different than "This is how you manage
your Java project dependencies using Apache Ivy, currently undergoing
incubation at the Apache Incubator." which is published on
theserverside.com and/or infoq.

> So I'll follow Niclas advice and submit the article to the PRC, it
> doesn't hurt (well, I hope :-))

True, but it might wake up sleeping dogs :)

Martijn

Wicket 1.2.6 contains a very important fix. Download Wicket now!
http://wicketframework.org

Re: to brand or not to brand?

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
As a lurker on PRC, I've never seen an article sent for review. I
don't think its necessary. Paul

Re: to brand or not to brand?

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

Re: to brand or not to brand?

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tuesday 22 May 2007 20:50, Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> I just read it and it seems to me that the technical article Xavier is
> trying to publish would not need to be passed to the PRC.

Better safe than sorry... ;o)

Cheers
Niclas

Re: to brand or not to brand?

Re: to brand or not to brand?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 5/22/07, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/22/07, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 22 May 2007 17:21, Xavier Hanin wrote:

<snip>

> > > So, any recommendation or link?
> >
> > All public announcements should be run through the PRC, to ensure accuracy.
> > So, I suggest that you post your article ahead of time to prc@apache.org for
> > comment and approvals. If they say Yes, you are in the clear and won't get
> > any bad comments later if there are something incorrect mentioned.
> Ok I wasn't aware of the PRC, and I'm still in trouble to get accurate
> information, google only told me about a few mailing list archive
> about the Public Relations Committee.

there's something wonderful about the apache public relations
committee keeping such a low profile :-)

- robert

RE: to brand or not to brand?

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
I'm pretty sure you already read it. But in case you don't, see
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html

Gilles

Re: to brand or not to brand?

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.