Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Pham Anh Tuan <an...@ichi-corp.jp> on 2005/11/08 04:07:36 UTC

[Help] how to erase jsessionid in URL

Hi all,

I got a problem when I use Struts Framework, everytime I do a action, Struts automatically appends jsessionid parameter in URL

something like below:
http://localhost:8080/test/index.do;jsessionid=5DF06EA......

plz help me and show me how to erase jsessionid parameter and I don't know is there any effects to my web app when I erase jsessionid parameter in URL.

thank you for ur reading.

Tuan

Re: [Help] how to erase jsessionid in URL

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
On 11/7/05, Pham Anh Tuan <an...@ichi-corp.jp> wrote:
> thanks to MC, but ... it still doesn't work, jsessionid is still available
> in URL after I add redirect to forward tag :(
>
> help me plz :(

The first time you load page and perform a redirect, you will see
session id in the URL, it was added by server to redirected address at
the time when it did not know yet that your browser supports cookies.
You will not see session ID anymore if browser supports cookies.

I have yet to find a way to distinguish that address contains session
id since no official request-related methods return this information.
You may want to perform one more redireciton when the session was
created for the first time to clean up the address from session id.

Michael.

Re: [Help] how to erase jsessionid in URL

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
On Tue, November 8, 2005 1:37 am, Pham Anh Tuan said:
> PS: if I want to change whether or not jsessionid is used, I must config
> container ? .... Do you have any document which instruct me how to
> reconfig
> container :(, if you had, plz show me, uh :") ... thank you :")

I'm assuming it's possible, it would seem bizarre if it wasn't.  In either
case though, it's going to be container-specific, so you'd either have to
ask on the appropriate list, or look through the docs.  I use Tomcat and
Websphere on a regular basis myself, and I don't know how to do it off the
top of my head on either.

Frank

Re: [Help] how to erase jsessionid in URL

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
On 11/7/05, Pham Anh Tuan <an...@ichi-corp.jp> wrote:
> jsession is appended all time, it's not only at the first request! :(

Make sure that browser accepts cookies from that host. Try a different
browser for a change, default settings usually allow to accept
cookies.

Michael.

Re: [Help] how to erase jsessionid in URL

Posted by Pham Anh Tuan <an...@ichi-corp.jp>.
jsession is appended all time, it's not only at the first request! :(

Oh, maybe I should recommend my client that "Just let it me, jsession is not
our problem, ... " :) ...

thank you very much, Frank!

PS: if I want to change whether or not jsessionid is used, I must config
container ? .... Do you have any document which instruct me how to reconfig
container :(, if you had, plz show me, uh :") ... thank you :")

Pham Anh Tuan
Java Developer, HR Assistant
ICHI Corporation Vietnam.
Room #1001, 37 Ton Duc Thang, Dist. 1
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
Phone: (+84) (08) 9105732
Fax: (+84) (08) 9105734
Cell: (+84) (0) 989 505897
Email: anhtuan@ichi-corp.jp
Website: http://www.ichi-corp.jp
Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect
Omnytex Technologies
http://www.omnytex.com
AIM: fzammetti
Yahoo: fzammetti
MSN: fzammetti@hotmail.com

On Tue, November 8, 2005 1:06 am, Pham Anh Tuan said:
> thanks Frank ... but :( ... I turned "cookie accept" on in my browser
> (Firefox, IE), but jsessionid still be appended URL :( ... what happened,
> hiz :(

> Pham Anh Tuan
> Java Developer, HR Assistant
> ICHI Corporation Vietnam.
> Room #1001, 37 Ton Duc Thang, Dist. 1
> Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
> Phone: (+84) (08) 9105732
> Fax: (+84) (08) 9105734
> Cell: (+84) (0) 989 505897
> Email: anhtuan@ichi-corp.jp
> Website: http://www.ichi-corp.jp
> Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 12:04 PM
> Subject: Re: [Help] how to erase jsessionid in URL
>

>> Yeah,I  might have wrote that a bit confusing :)  All I meant is that if
>> cookies are enabled in the browser, then URL rewriting won't be used...
>> well, PROBABLY... I suppose the container still could do URL rewriting,
>> but I doubt any would... although, I wouldn't be surprised if you could
>> tell your container to always do URL rewriting, or always NOT do it, in
>> which case users without cookies disabled wouldn't be able to access
>> your
>> site.  That might be acceptable in your case if the client really
>> doesn't
>> want to see them... tell them they either see them, or some people won't
>> be able to use the site :)  Their choice, the client is always right :)
>>
>> Frank
>>
>> Pham Anh Tuan wrote:
>>> thank you, Frank :)
>>>
>>> As u said, if I want to disable jsessionid in URL, I must turn on
>>> cookie
>>> on my browser ? uh? Is it rite? I'm not sure that I understood what you
>>> mean :( "Aside from enabling cookies ...", enable cookies on my browser
>>> :( ... or where ?
>>>
>>> plz help and show me more details :(
>>>
>>> thank you for ur reply
>>>

>>> *************************************************
>>> Pham Anh Tuan
>>> Java Developer, HR Assistant
>>> ICHI Corporation Vietnam.
>>> Room #1001, 37 Ton Duc Thang, Dist. 1
>>> Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
>>> Phone: (+84) (08) 9105732
>>> Fax: (+84) (08) 9105734

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Pham Anh Tuan wrote:
> thank you, Frank :)
>
> As u said, if I want to disable jsessionid in URL, I must turn on cookie
> on my browser ? uh? Is it rite? I'm not sure that I understood what you
> mean :( "Aside from enabling cookies ...", enable cookies on my browser
> :( ... or where ?
>
> plz help and show me more details :(
>
> thank you for ur reply

> Pham Anh Tuan
> Java Developer, HR Assistant
> ICHI Corporation Vietnam.
> Room #1001, 37 Ton Duc Thang, Dist. 1
> Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
> Phone: (+84) (08) 9105732
> Fax: (+84) (08) 9105734
> Cell: (+84) (0) 989 505897
> Email: anhtuan@ichi-corp.jp
> Website: http://www.ichi-corp.jp
> Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 11:42 AM
> Subject: Re: [Help] how to erase jsessionid in URL
>

>> It should be noted that jsessionid is not a Struts creation, it is a
>> servlet spec thing... it stands for "Java Session ID" (creative,
>> huh??) and is actually dealt with by your app server.  The jsessionid
>> can be stored in a cookie on the client, or it can be appended to the
>> request as part of the query string, as you are seeing, which is
>> referred to as URL Rewriting.
>>
>> Aside from enabling cookies, I don't think there is any way to hide
>> it... well, you could not use session at all, that would do it too :)
>> Someone may know something different, but I too would be interested to
>> know how you could hide it because it would seem to contradict the
>> spec if you could (assuming no cookies).
>>
>> Frank
>>
>> Pham Anh Tuan wrote:
>>
>>> thanks to MC, but ... it still doesn't work, jsessionid is still
>>> available in URL after I add redirect to forward tag :(
>>>
>>> help me plz :(
>>>

>>> *************************************************
>>> Pham Anh Tuan
>>> Java Developer, HR Assistant
>>> ICHI Corporation Vietnam.
>>> Room #1001, 37 Ton Duc Thang, Dist. 1
>>> Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
>>> Phone: (+84) (08) 9105732
>>> Fax: (+84) (08) 9105734

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Posted by Pham Anh Tuan <an...@ichi-corp.jp>.
thank you, Wendy :)

It's just because my client don't want to see jsessionid in the url :( ...

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Murray Collingwood <mu...@focus-computing.com.au>.