Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Daevid Vincent <da...@daevid.com> on 2008/05/15 05:57:35 UTC

can't "svnadmin load"

I am having all kinds of issues trying to import a dump from
http://cvsdude.com.
We've been using them, but now would like to move the subversion in-house.

root@bugs:/tmp# svnadmin load help
svnadmin: Can't open file 'help/format': No such file or directory

root@bugs:/tmp# svnadmin load --force-uuid /var/local/svn/svn.mycompany.com
< web.svn
svnadmin: Valid UTF-8 data
(hex:)
followed by invalid UTF-8 sequence
(hex: 96 2d 66 6f)

root@bugs:/tmp# svnadmin load /var/local/svn/svn.mycompany.com < web.svn

<<< Started new transaction, based on original revision 1
svnadmin: File already exists: filesystem
'/var/local/svn/svn.mycompany.com/db', transaction '2-1', path 'branches'
     * adding path : branches ...root@bugs:/tmp#

I tried to delete the 'db' directory and that didn't work either:
svnadmin: Can't open file '/var/local/svn/svn.mycompany.com/db/DB_CONFIG':
No such file or directory

I tried to point it right at the db and that failed too.
# svnadmin load /var/local/svn/svn.mycompany.com/db < web.svn
svnadmin: Expected repository format '3' or '5'; found format '2'

What am I doing wrong? This shouldn't be so difficult.

Re: can't "svnadmin load"

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On May 15, 2008, at 00:57, Daevid Vincent wrote:

> I am having all kinds of issues trying to import a dump from
> http://cvsdude.com.
> We've been using them, but now would like to move the subversion in-
> house.
>
> root@bugs:/tmp# svnadmin load help
> svnadmin: Can't open file 'help/format': No such file or directory
>
> root@bugs:/tmp# svnadmin load --force-uuid /var/local/svn/
> svn.mycompany.com
> < web.svn
> svnadmin: Valid UTF-8 data
> (hex:)
> followed by invalid UTF-8 sequence
> (hex: 96 2d 66 6f)
>
> root@bugs:/tmp# svnadmin load /var/local/svn/svn.mycompany.com <
> web.svn
>
> <<< Started new transaction, based on original revision 1
> svnadmin: File already exists: filesystem
> '/var/local/svn/svn.mycompany.com/db', transaction '2-1', path
> 'branches'
>      * adding path : branches ...root@bugs:/tmp#
>
> I tried to delete the 'db' directory and that didn't work either:
> svnadmin: Can't open file '/var/local/svn/svn.mycompany.com/db/
> DB_CONFIG':
> No such file or directory
>
> I tried to point it right at the db and that failed too.
> # svnadmin load /var/local/svn/svn.mycompany.com/db < web.svn
> svnadmin: Expected repository format '3' or '5'; found format '2'
>
> What am I doing wrong? This shouldn't be so difficult.

The way to get help about the svnadmin load command is to type
"svnadmin help load" (not "svnadmin load help"). You can also read
the book at http://svnbook.org

svnadmin is having trouble converting non-UTF-8 data in the dumpfile
it seems? Do you have the LANG environment variable set to something
that makes sense for your system? If not, please do. Though I didn't
think the dumpfile should ever contain non-UTF-8 data... If it helps
you locate the source of the problem, the butes 96 2d 66 6f, if they
are in the ISO-8859-1 charset, are "–-fo" -- that is, an en-dash, a
dash, the letter f, the letter o. Is that string present in one of
your filenames in the dump? Again it shouldn't be a problem; the
repository should be able to handle UTF-8 filenames. Just trying to
see where the message is coming from.

You're trying to load a complete repository dump into a new empty
local repository, yes? In that case, once svnadmin load fails, you
should delete the repository and recreate a new empty one before
attempting to load again. That should take care of the rest of the
errors you mentioned.