Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Kasper Nielsen <ne...@kav.dk> on 2002/06/27 19:52:43 UTC

new look

Hi

I just saw the new look on http://java.sun.com/ and boy its neat.
What about bringing something like this to jakarta land?? (And no. I'm not
currently Volunteering to do this)

I also thought thought that 'Community Discussion '
(http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/community/chat/) like they have on
java.sun.com would be a great idea for jakarta as well.

- Kasper

Re: new look

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> let us just see what's cooking up in maven, forrest, other places. When
> stuff is stable and jakarta-site3 is there (regardless of who volunteers
> to build it) and neat, talk about changing layout and look and feel.

We (=Forrest) plan on doing centralized builds (gump style) providing a
consistent look & feel across all projects. People just have to maintain
a collection of xdocs and we'll do the rest.

Not quite ready yet, however.

</Steven>

Re: new look

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
> > Isn't maven more directed towards each independent top-project??
> > The great thing about the java.sun.com layout is that there is so much room
> > for writing stuff and linking to stuff.
>
> I would be strongly -1 on copying their layout. We should be original from
> Sun.

agreed.

let us just see what's cooking up in maven, forrest, other places. When
stuff is stable and jakarta-site3 is there (regardless of who volunteers
to build it) and neat, talk about changing layout and look and feel.

I for one am still a bit lost on the sun website; the most
information-dense (not meta-information dense) website still easy to
navigate I know is msdn.microsoft.com. But this is OT on general@.

regards,

- Leo Simons

Re: new look

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 6/27/02 12:33 PM, "Kasper Nielsen" <ne...@kav.dk> wrote:

> And the important thing wasn't how _to_ access the sessions but _having_
> announced sessions.
>
> - Kasper

That is easy enough to do...just stick it up on the homepage...

-jon

Re: new look

Posted by Kasper Nielsen <ne...@kav.dk>.
Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 6/27/02 12:15 PM, "Henri Yandell" <ba...@generationjava.com> wrote:

> I'm hoping that an aspect of maven will focus on dealing with collections
> of projects at some point. creating a top level site for them, grouping
> documentation.

http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/

I see a list of 9 subprojects in the grey bar under the logo's...

> If it can be nice and recursive, then it could create a nice automated
> system with a common look and feel. I guess a lot of that is really xdoc
> and not maven.

That would be nice.

> agreed, however the idea of announced sessions is quite cool. Rather than
> just a talk on the turbine framework, it could focus on things like:
>
> Tomcat 5 released, come learn about this new release and what it gives
> you.
>
> Maven 1.0 out, why you should use it.
>
> or just question and answer sessions.

Personally, I would rather see developers writing code not spending all
their time in IRC with silly conversation...=) Nice thing about email is
that you can do it on your time where IRC is live and people tend to
banter...not a bad thing...just that it seems like a waste of time for this
group...where the sun thing is a marketing tool...

-jon

Re: new look

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

> on 6/27/02 11:10 AM, "Kasper Nielsen" <ne...@kav.dk> wrote:
>
> > Isn't maven more directed towards each independent top-project??
> > The great thing about the java.sun.com layout is that there is so much room
> > for writing stuff and linking to stuff.
>
> I would be strongly -1 on copying their layout. We should be original from
> Sun.

I'm hoping that an aspect of maven will focus on dealing with collections
of projects at some point. creating a top level site for them, grouping
documentation.

If it can be nice and recursive, then it could create a nice automated
system with a common look and feel. I guess a lot of that is really xdoc
and not maven.

> > Yeah i know, I was actually more refering to announced sessions, lets say a
> > posting on the front page of jakarta.apache.org
> > July 16 11:00 A.M. PDT/6:00 P.M. GMT
> > The Turbine Framework
> > Guests: Jon Scott Stevens and Jason Van Zyl
> >
> > And then some kind of swing app on top so people doesn't have to install a
> > IRC client.
>
> The ChatZilla irc client comes with Mozilla and works pretty well/easily and
> is free. I don't see why that is such a hurdle for people.

agreed, however the idea of announced sessions is quite cool. Rather than
just a talk on the turbine framework, it could focus on things like:

Tomcat 5 released, come learn about this new release and what it gives
you.

Maven 1.0 out, why you should use it.

or just question and answer sessions.

Hen

Re: new look

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Re: new look

Posted by Kasper Nielsen <ne...@kav.dk>.
Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 6/27/02 10:52 AM, "Kasper Nielsen" <ne...@kav.dk> wrote:

> I just saw the new look on http://java.sun.com/ and boy its neat.

Indeed. It is far better than what they had.

> What about bringing something like this to jakarta land?? (And no. I'm not
> currently Volunteering to do this)

I think we have been working on a new look...but it is coming out of the
Maven department...I actually have an Anakia stylesheet with the new look
that I did for my club...<http://studioz.tv/>...isn't hard to change the
existing one out...again though...it takes volunteers to actually do the
work and part of the problem is that the projects are all rendered on their
own (bah!)...so it would be a slow migration to the new look across all of
the projects...

> I also thought thought that 'Community Discussion '
> (http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/community/chat/) like they have on
> java.sun.com would be a great idea for jakarta as well.

irc.whichever.com:6667

-jon