Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Vignesh <vi...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/27 16:51:31 UTC

Debugging invalid_request response from a .10.2 server for list offset api using librdkafka client

Hi,

We are using LibrdKafka library version .11.0 and calling List Offset API
with a timestamp on a 0.10.2 kafka server installed in a windows machine.

This request returns an error code, 43 - INVALID_REQUEST.

We have other local installations of Kafka version 0.10.2 (also on Windows)
and are able to use the library successfully.

Are there any settings on this specific server that is causing this error?
Which logs can we enable and look at to get additional details about what
is wrong with the request?

Thanks,
Vignesh.

Re: Debugging invalid_request response from a .10.2 server for list offset api using librdkafka client

Posted by Vignesh <vi...@gmail.com>.
I understand that it won't support it, my only concern is about the error
code.

Locally with these settings I get a message formatted error, 43 . Which
makes sense.
In one particular cluster we see an invalid request 42 instead of
unsupported format 43.

What are the implications of changing the broker protocol version to 10.2,
for the topics that were created before this change? My assumption is that
they will return 43 for list offset request version 1+ and all other
requests would work. Is that correct?

Also, can the message format be changed for a topic from 0.8.1 to 0.10.2?
If not, what is the recommended way to upgrade old topics.

Posted by Hans Jespersen <ha...@confluent.io>.

From https://kafka.apache.org/protocol

Posted by Vignesh <vi...@gmail.com>.