Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/03 21:02:46 UTC

Contributor not willing to sign ICLA

One of the developers at my organisation who contributed some utility
code used in Wookie says that, while he's fine with the code being
contributed, he is unwilling to sign an ICLA for his contributions.
This doesn't seem to be for any particular reason to do with Apache or
Wookie, but seems rather to be some kind of personal aversion.

What are the ways forward in this situation?

/-/-/-/-/-/
Scott Wilson
Assistant Director, JISC CETIS
University of Bolton

Projects:
FeedForward: http://getfeedforward.org
Apache Wookie: http://incubator.apache.org/projects/wookie.html

scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com
http://www.cetis.ac.uk/members/scott

Re: Contributor not willing to sign ICLA

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
2009/8/3 Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>:
> One of the developers at my organisation who contributed some utility code
> used in Wookie says that, while he's fine with the code being contributed,
> he is unwilling to sign an ICLA for his contributions. This doesn't seem to
> be for any particular reason to do with Apache or Wookie, but seems rather
> to be some kind of personal aversion.
>
> What are the ways forward in this situation?

[Note Scott has given me a little more detail offlist, but since it
contains personal details and mails we can't post full details to this
list. I will try and fill in some of the gaps here]

As I understand it this is not one of the core contributors, but
someone who has contributed a small amount of code. This person is an
employee of the University of Bolton, who, as we understand it, own
the IP in this proposal. University of Bolton will be submitting a
CCLA.

My suggestion is that we ask the University of Bolton to confirm that
this persons contributions are owned by the university (in the UK this
is the default case in employment law, so unless the employment
contract states otherwise this will be correct). Assuming that this is
the case then as long as we ensure that this person is named as being
covered by the CCLA signed by Bolton then there will be no concerns.

If copyright is not owned by the university then we will need to try
and educate this person about why he needs to sign an iCLA. I can't
imagine what his "aversion" is, I strongly suspect it is one of
ignorance rather than logic.

Ross

Re: Contributor not willing to sign ICLA

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Scott
Wilson<sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One of the developers at my organisation who contributed some utility code
> used in Wookie says that, while he's fine with the code being contributed,
> he is unwilling to sign an ICLA for his contributions. This doesn't seem to
> be for any particular reason to do with Apache or Wookie, but seems rather
> to be some kind of personal aversion.
>
> What are the ways forward in this situation?

Scott, this is a good question to be asked at general@a.o where you
could get a wider audience of mentors and other members that has been
long involved with other podlings and might have the answer for you.
If we are not lucky there, then we could try legal-discuss@a.o.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende