Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Stephan Seitz <s....@secretresearchfacility.com> on 2016/01/12 16:57:08 UTC

current state of IPv6 in 4.6 VR / 4.7

Hi!

I'm currently trying to add dualstack (ipv4 + ipv6) shared networks to
one of our infrastructures. It's running 4.7 w/ latest 4.6 VR on
VLAN-based advanced Networking w/ XenServer 6.5.

The documentation [1] says
"Use the System VM template exclusively designed to support IPv6.
Download the System VM template from [2]"
http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu/systemvm/

Well at that URL are lots of systemvm64templates, but I none of them
mention IPv6. Maybe I missed one?
Anyway, I'ld definitely stay on 4.6 templates...

Does anyone know, if IPv6 is in current templates "only broken", or is
there a different branch for v6 Support?

As far as I can see, the DUID of the provisioned VMs is only visible in
/etc/cloudstack/dhcpentry.json:
        "ipv6_duid": "00:03:00:01:06:2d:4a:00:08:47",

I didn't find any code using that DUID in /opt, the running dnsmasq also
doesn't know about that DUID, consequently it ignores the requests:

/var/log/dnsmasq.log:
Jan 12 15:54:36 dnsmasq-dhcp[3780]: DHCPSOLICIT(eth0)
00:03:00:06:06:2d:4a:00:08:47 ignored
[...]

I'ld really appreciate any suggestions how to get IPv6 provisioned.

Thanks in advance!

- Stephan

[1] http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/en/latest/networking/ipv6.html
[2] http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu/systemvm/

[3] /etc/cloudstack/dhcpentry.json:        "ipv6_duid":
"00:03:00:01:06:2d:4a:00:08:47",

Re: current state of IPv6 in 4.6 VR / 4.7

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Hello,

I do not use IPv6, partly because support for it in ACS is very poor.
Someone more experienced may be able to advise further.

One way I know people do it is to just enable router adverts on the shared VLAN, however this is very basic and unmanageable by Cloudstack.

I know several people are interested about making IPv6 happen and I am confident it's going to happen soon(tm):
https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@cloudstack.apache.org/msg58073.html

HTH
Lucian

Nux!