Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Peter Alvin <pa...@awebabove.com> on 2003/04/12 13:22:49 UTC

Best Linux For Apache/Tomcat (SuSE or Red Hat?)

Hello,

I need to set up another simple website server using Apache/Tomcat.
What is the best Linux distribution or is it purely one's preference?
 (I have none.)

The only box I've set up was with SuSE and it was a little difficult
because it appeared that the "ready to install object code" was a
little bit more out of date for SuSE than for Red Hat.  I'm thinking
of building the box using Red Hat.

Any recommendations?

Pete
tomcat@awebabove.com

Re: Best Linux For Apache/Tomcat (SuSE or Red Hat?)

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
What you use is up to you, but I can tell you that if you use Red Hat,
there will be a lot more people on this list who can help you should you
run into problems.  That is not to say that Red Hat is better that SuSE or
anything else, it is just a description of my perception of the current
distribution of Linux users and admins on this list.

John

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <vc...@basebeans.com>.

> Note, that the new RedHat 9.0 has issues with Sun's JDKs.  You should
> use the latest one from http://java.sun.com
>
> Regards,
>
> Andre.

Re: VM.

Sun VM had other issues, such as StringBuffer, and GC.
I have beeing using J:Rockit VM and it tends to be better.

.V

RE: Best Linux For Apache/Tomcat (SuSE or Red Hat?)

Posted by Sjoerd van Leent <sv...@wanadoo.nl>.
Remember that Red Hat is much more an environment for server
applications, where SuSE is more for client applications. So I would
recommend Red Hat, though I use SuSE on my own as well.

Sjoerd van Leent

On Сбт, Апр 12, 2003 at 05:22:49 -0600, Peter Alvin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to set up another simple website server using Apache/Tomcat.
> What is the best Linux distribution or is it purely one's preference?
>  (I have none.)
>
> The only box I've set up was with SuSE and it was a little difficult
> because it appeared that the "ready to install object code" was a
> little bit more out of date for SuSE than for Red Hat.  I'm thinking
> of building the box using Red Hat.
>
> Any recommendations?

I personally run all my java stuff on RH (versions 7.2-8.0) and find it
relatively simple, due to the fact, that there are a lot of RPM packages
for many java libraries and applications, including JDK and Tomcat.  See
http://www.jpackage.org/ for a good collection.

--
Andre E. Bar'yudin
Phone: (972)-54-882-026       ICQ: 48036924

RE: Best Linux For Apache/Tomcat (SuSE or Red Hat?)

Posted by Sjoerd van Leent <sv...@wanadoo.nl>.

Posted by "Andre E. Bar'yudin" <ba...@pob.huji.ac.il>.