Posted to alexandria-user@jakarta.apache.org by "Stefán F. Stefánsson" <st...@snote.decode.is> on 2001/03/02 11:29:18 UTC

Status of the project?

Hello.

I'm wondering what the status of the project is?  I first heard of
alexandria about a month ago and I've been waiting for it ever since.
My company is working on restructuring their source code management
systems and currently I'm routing for an (almost) all apache/jakarta
solution.  We have CVS as the source management system, we're using
tomcat as a webserver in one of our server applications, apache is used
in our biggest web projects, we use ant to create builds of those
projects and we uphold the Javadoc code commenting scheme.  So we have
everything ready but only need alexandria to help us put it all
together.

We've looked at Alexandria a little bit but decided not to spend too
much time into getting it up and running before the project was in a bit
more stable state.  So now I ask you what the state is?  How is the
documentation coming along.  One of the biggest reasons for us not to
spend time on alexandria was that we could find very little
documentation about the setup of the system.  How to actually connect it
to apache and CVS?  Is there anything new there?

One final note.  We noticed that all the different projects in
alexandria on the apache web do not contain cross references in the
Javadoc.  This probably means that each project is taken and the Javadoc
is created seperately.  We have an idea that would mean getting all the
source code in one place and generating the Javadoc on that.  That way
one project that uses classes from another project would have a
reference to the other projects classes Javadocs which would be very
convenient.  Then the index files for each project could be generated
independantly so that each project would have an index file with only
the relative classes.  We would be willing to look into patching
Alexandria to behave in this manner if we see that setting it up as it
is now would give us some benefits.

Please tell me what you think of the idea for the patch and also if you
can give me a status update and even some documentation/instructions for
setting up.

Kind regards,
	Stefan Freyr

Stefan Freyr Stefansson