Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2004/03/09 20:11:22 UTC

[mp2] exception handling

Just like we need to freeze the API for 2.0 release, we need to finalize the
exception handling mechanism for 2.0 release as well, since it's really an
important part of the API.

If you were following the recent thread on $! at p5p, you know that the
"authorities" absolutely refuse to extend the $! behavior and keep it 1:1
mapping to errno, which we can't use since our error messages usually come
from Apache/APR which may not map onto POSIX errno E* codes.

So in cases where we don't croak but return an error (.e.g :Apache or :APR
perlio layers), we need to set an error variable, which can't be $!. So it
must be something similar to $DBI::strerr. Since at some point APR:: will have
its own life, we should probably use $APR::strerr for APR:: errors and
$mod_perl::strerr or $Apache::strerr for mod_perl errors.

I think there are a few places where we set $@ as well. Need to review that as
well.