Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com> on 2002/02/22 16:58:33 UTC

Re: SUCCESS: libapreq working in Mac OS X

John Siracusa <si...@mindspring.com> writes:

> > On Thursday, February 14, 2002, at 04:44 PM, John Siracusa wrote:
> >> Next, I downloaded all the source code.  Note that I'm using Joe
> >> Schaefer's "special" versions of apache and libapreq.
> >
> > Will their changes be merged into the main distro soon?
>
> That's a question for Joe, I think...

For the pending 1.0 release, I'm pretty sure the answer is no.
We don't understand the problem with libapreq on OS X well enough
to try and support it, yet.

In the interim I'll try and maintain the "experimental" versions.
Stas has been kind enough to work on adding a test suite to libapreq,
which will very likely be included in the next release. Perhaps by
then we'll have this OS X loader problem nailed as well.

OTOH, I'd like to solicit some feedback on yet another installation
process- first making libapreq a shared library, and then linking
the Perl interfaces to *that* library (instead of libapreq.a).

Here are the steps:

  1) build mod_perl + apache as normal (do NOT use the experimental
     versions I've been providing, and be sure your modperl config
     options include support for Apache::Table).

  2) Grab the soon-to-be-released version of libapreq-1.0 from Jim's
     webpage:

        http://www.apache.org/~jimw/libapreq-1.0.tar.gz

  3) Install libapreq.so.1.0.0 (to /usr/local/lib) using:

        % ./configure
        % make
        % make install

  4) Now install Apache::Request and Apache::Cookie using

        % perl Makefile.PL
        % make
        % make install

You might need to use "ldconfig" to tell ld.so where libapreq's
shared library is.

  5) report successes/failures using this approach on OS X to

        apreq-dev@httpd.apache.org

Thanks again.

--
Joe Schaefer

Re: SUCCESS: libapreq working in Mac OS X

Posted by "Randal L. Schwartz" <me...@stonehenge.com>.

Joe> OTOH, I'd like to solicit some feedback on yet another installation
Joe> process- first making libapreq a shared library, and then linking
Joe> the Perl interfaces to *that* library (instead of libapreq.a).

Beware.  When I made mod_perl a .so, and then loaded that, I could not
load any other .so's from there, making all XS modules fail.  So
having an .so call an .so might not work.

<me...@stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>

Re: SUCCESS: libapreq working in Mac OS X

Posted by Ken Williams <ke...@mathforum.org>.
On Friday, February 22, 2002, at 09:58  AM, Joe Schaefer wrote:
> In the interim I'll try and maintain the "experimental" versions.
> Stas has been kind enough to work on adding a test suite to libapreq,
> which will very likely be included in the next release.

That'll be MUCH appreciated.  That's been a big stumbling block in
trying to figure out what the deal is with libapreq on OS X.

> OTOH, I'd like to solicit some feedback on yet another installation
> process- first making libapreq a shared library, and then linking
> the Perl interfaces to *that* library (instead of libapreq.a).

I think that sounds like a better approach than the current one, I'll
try to give it a shot.  I'm moving out of my apartment in the next few
days though, so I might not get to it for a while.  Remind me if
necessary.

  -Ken

Re: SUCCESS: libapreq working in Mac OS X

Posted by Charles Albrecht <ch...@pobox.com>.
At 12:17 PM -0500 2/22/2002, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> On 22 Feb 2002, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>>
>> >   3) Install libapreq.so.1.0.0 (to /usr/local/lib) using:
>> >
>> >         % ./configure
>> >         % make
>> >         % make install
>> >
>> >   4) Now install Apache::Request and Apache::Cookie using
>> >
>> >         % perl Makefile.PL
>> >         % make
>> >         % make install
>>
>> Should that be
>>
>> % make
>> % su
>> # make install
>
>Sure.

Or better yet,

% make
% sudo make install

--
Charles Albrecht                                      Euonymic Solutions
charlesa@pobox.com                                       P.O. Box 300623
                http://www.euonymic.net/~charlesa/cv/

Re: SUCCESS: libapreq working in Mac OS X

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> On 22 Feb 2002, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>
> >   3) Install libapreq.so.1.0.0 (to /usr/local/lib) using:
> >
> >         % ./configure
> >         % make
> >         % make install
> >
> >   4) Now install Apache::Request and Apache::Cookie using
> >
> >         % perl Makefile.PL
> >         % make
> >         % make install
>
> Should that be
>
> % make
> % su
> # make install

Sure.

--
Joe Schaefer

Re: SUCCESS: libapreq working in Mac OS X

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On 22 Feb 2002, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> John Siracusa <si...@mindspring.com> writes:
[snip,snip]
>   3) Install libapreq.so.1.0.0 (to /usr/local/lib) using:
>
>         % ./configure
>         % make
>         % make install
>
>   4) Now install Apache::Request and Apache::Cookie using
>
>         % perl Makefile.PL
>         % make
>         % make install

Should that be