Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Sam Hough <sa...@redspr.com> on 2004/03/16 16:00:52 UTC

order of Field objects within Document

Can anybody confirm that no guarantee is given that Fields retain
their order within a Document?

Version 1.3 seems to (although reversing the order
on occasion).

Doesnt seem likely but would be really useful for my current application ;)
Im just asking for clarification not a change of spec although a comment
in the JavaDoc for Document making it explicit might be handy.

Thanks

Sam

Re: order of Field objects within Document

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Sam Hough wrote:
> Can anybody confirm that no guarantee is given that Fields retain
> their order within a Document?
>
> Version 1.3 seems to (although reversing the order
> on occasion).

In 1.3 they're reversed as added, then reversed as read, so that hits
have fields in their added order.  In 1.4 I've fixed this so that
they're always in order.

Doug

Re: order of Field objects within Document

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
I believe Document's fields() method will always give you the fields in
the same order for a given Document instance.
It may not be consistent accross multiple Document instances, though,
if you add Fields to your Document in a different order.

Otis