Posted to phoenix-dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> on 2002/11/02 02:22:42 UTC

Re: Block context as shared source of block related information

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 03:09, Igor Fedorenko wrote:
> Not necessary. We can introduce additional configuration layer between
> the container and the application which will define context
> contributors, interceptors and other optional container services.

I like that - but that just becomes a generic hierarchial container. So each
container has components and interceptors. Interceptors can use services of
parent container while components can use services of their peers.

I love the idea and think it is great. It is just a lot of work to get right
;)

> > What I would really like to see is an experiment to see which way works
> > better. So maybe it would be good to just see it in code and then we can
> > decide whether it is the right way to do things?
>
> Take a look at JBoss. It has different container configuration for
> different types of EJBs and target deployment environment (deploying CMP
> beans into oracle is different from db2).

Yep. But they have hierarchial containers. ie Interceptors don't depend on
EJBs (equivelent to our blocks).

> > The difficult part will be that being a ContextContributor essentially
> > adds a new layer of dependencies. For example, assume a
> > SecurityInterceptor (SI) requires a SecurityManager (SM). The SM can not
> > depend on any block transitively (sp?) that uses the SI as part of it's
> > interceptor chain. Actually coding this up is going to be fairly painful.
> >
> > I dunno. Maybe we just see how it looks in code?
>
> Sure. What exactly do you want to see, part that supports context
> contributors in phoenix (this was surprisingly big change due to current
> DefaultApplication/BlockEntry implementation), usage of context
> contributors in some test app or both?

Whatever you have got would be interesting to look at.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald