Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Anna Turbine <an...@hotmail.com> on 2012/05/19 15:44:59 UTC

Need help setting up Turbine tutorial using M.E.T.A

Hello,

I am very frustrated in setting up a a very simple Turbine application using M.E.T.A (Maven Environment for Turbine Applications).

Basically I follow the below steps:

Install M.E.T.A following this link:
http://turbine.apache.org/meta/installation.html
Note that I installed Maven 1.0 as it says Maven 2 is not currently supported.

Then I installed the M.E.T.A plugin:
maven -DartifactId=maven-turbine-plugin -DgroupId=turbine -Dversion=1.3 plugin:download

I installed application server Tomcat 6.0

Integrate M.E.T.A to Tomcat as described in this link:
http://turbine.apache.org/meta/getting_started.html
maven.appserver.home = C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Tomcat 6.0

Got the Hello World working.  So far so good.

The problem comes when I tried to move further:
http://wiki.apache.org/turbine/Turbine2/Tutorial/SimpleSample1

No matter what I tried, I am not able get the "Adding a java filled screen" part working. I couldn't get the $content_field variable resolved correctly.

I searched online and tried all possibilities, but no vain. I think the problem is the plugin is at version 1.3 and the Turbine is at version 2.3; that's why the Java class can not be loaded.

Please shed a light on how to set up this very simple application. I appreciate anyone could provide a step by step guide how to set up a Turbine application to work in Tomcat.

Best regards,

- Anna

Re: Need help setting up Turbine tutorial using M.E.T.A

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Hi Anna,

On 19.05.12 15:44, Anna Turbine wrote:
> Install M.E.T.A following this link:
> http://turbine.apache.org/meta/installation.html
> Note that I installed Maven 1.0 as it says Maven 2 is not currently supported.

If you want to use Maven2, I'd suggest to have a look at
http://www.mail-archive.com/user@turbine.apache.org/msg00429.html and
the maven archetypes. Those should provide you with a working example
from where you can proceed.

> The problem comes when I tried to move further:
> http://wiki.apache.org/turbine/Turbine2/Tutorial/SimpleSample1
>
> No matter what I tried, I am not able get the "Adding a java filled screen" part working. I couldn't get the $content_field variable resolved correctly.

What do the log files tell you? Please note that Turbine needs to know
the packages it should search for module classes (screens, actions and
such). So make sure that org.apache.turbine.app.tutorial1.modules is
part of your module.packages search path in TurbineResources.properties.

Bye, Thomas.