Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Ajay Anand <aa...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2008/01/16 18:48:57 UTC

Hadoop summit / workshop at Yahoo!

Yahoo plans to host a summit / workshop on Apache Hadoop at our
Sunnyvale campus on March 25th. Given the interest we are seeing from
developers in a broad range of organizations, this seems like a good
time to get together and brief each other on the progress that is being
made.

We would like to cover topics in the areas of extensions being developed
for Hadoop, innovative applications being built and deployed on Hadoop,
and future extensions to the platform. Some of the speakers who have
already committed to present are from organizations such as IBM, Intel,
Carnegie Mellon University, UC Berkeley, Facebook and Yahoo!, and we are
actively recruiting other leaders in the space.

If you have an innovative application you would like to talk about,
please let us know. Although there are limitations on the amount of time
we have, we would love to hear from you. You can contact me at
aanand@yahoo-inc.com.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing about your cool apps,

Ajay

RE: Hadoop summit / workshop at Yahoo!

Posted by Jeff Eastman <je...@collab.net>.
You bet, and help with the slides would be most appreciated.
Jeff

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <je...@collab.net>.
I live right next door in Los Altos and plan to attend.
Jeff

Anyone in Mahout-land able to make this?  Sure would be good to have
someone there.

-Grant

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Scott S <sa...@yahoo.com>
> Date: February 10, 2008 12:03:59 AM EST
> To: hadoop-user@lucene.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Hadoop summit / workshop at Yahoo!
>

> Has any announcement gone out about the Hadoop Summit.  I am very
> interested
> in attending, but have not heard anything about it other than this
> original
> post.
>
> Scott
>

> Ajay Anand wrote:
>>
>> Yahoo plans to host a summit / workshop on Apache Hadoop at our
>> Sunnyvale campus on March 25th. Given the interest we are seeing from
>> developers in a broad range of organizations, this seems like a good
>> time to get together and brief each other on the progress that is
>> being
>> made.
>>

>> We would like to cover topics in the areas of extensions being
>> developed
>> for Hadoop, innovative applications being built and deployed on
>> Hadoop,
>> and future extensions to the platform. Some of the speakers who have
>> already committed to present are from organizations such as IBM,
>> Intel,
>> Carnegie Mellon University, UC Berkeley, Facebook and Yahoo!, and
>> we are
>> actively recruiting other leaders in the space.
>>

>> If you have an innovative application you would like to talk about,
>> please let us know. Although there are limitations on the amount of
>> time
>> we have, we would love to hear from you. You can contact me at
>> aanand@yahoo-inc.com.
>>

>> Thanks and looking forward to hearing about your cool apps,
>>
>> Ajay

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
http://lucene.grantingersoll.com
http://www.lucenebootcamp.com

Lucene Helpful Hints:

Fwd: Hadoop summit / workshop at Yahoo!

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

--------------------------

Posted by Will Luttrell <wi...@disk11.com>.
Bump.

Posted by Jeremy Zawodny <Je...@Zawodny.com>.
There should be an announcement coming out very soon, along with RSVP
details.

Jeremy

Posted by Bradford Stephens <br...@gmail.com>.
Will this be webcast/recorded for those of us with recalcitrant employers? ^_^

Posted by Bradford Stephens <br...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I was really looking forward to attending. :)

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Stefan Groschupf <sg...@101tec.com> wrote:
> Puhh, 2 days and it is full?
>  Does Yahoo have no bigger rooms than just for a 100 people?
>

>  On Feb 20, 2008, at 12:10 PM, Ajay Anand wrote:
>
>  > The registration page for the Hadoop summit is now up:
>  > http://developer.yahoo.com/hadoop/summit/
>  >
>  > Space is limited, so please sign up early if you are interested in
>  > attending.
>  >
>  > About the summit:
>  > Yahoo! is hosting the first summit on Apache Hadoop on March 25th in
>  > Sunnyvale. The summit is sponsored by the Computing Community
>  > Consortium
>  > (CCC) and brings together leaders from the Hadoop developer and user
>  > communities. The speakers will cover topics in the areas of extensions
>  > being developed for Hadoop, case studies of applications being built
>  > and
>  > deployed on Hadoop, and a discussion on future directions for the
>  > platform.
>  >
>  > Agenda:
>  > 8:30-8:55 Breakfast
>  > 8:55-9:00 Welcome to Yahoo! & Logistics - Ajay Anand, Yahoo!
>  > 9:00-9:30 Hadoop Overview - Doug Cutting / Eric Baldeschwieler, Yahoo!
>  > 9:30-10:00 Pig - Chris Olston, Yahoo!
>  > 10:00-10:30 JAQL - Kevin Beyer, IBM
>  > 10:30-10:45 Break
>  > 10:45-11:15 DryadLINQ - Michael Isard, Microsoft
>  > 11:15-11:45 Monitoring Hadoop using X-Trace - Andy Konwinski and Matei
>  > Zaharia, UC Berkeley
>  > 11:45-12:15 Zookeeper - Ben Reed, Yahoo!
>  > 12:15-1:15 Lunch
>  > 1:15-1:45 Hbase - Michael Stack, Powerset
>  > 1:45-2:15 Hbase App - Bryan Duxbury, Rapleaf
>  > 2:15-2:45 Hive - Joydeep Sen Sarma, Facebook
>  > 2:45-3:00 Break
>  > 3:00-3:20 Building Ground Models of Southern California - Steve
>  > Schossler, David O'Hallaron, Intel / CMU
>  > 3:20-3:40 Online search for engineering design content - Mike Haley,
>  > Autodesk
>  > 3:40-4:00 Yahoo - Webmap - Arnab Bhattacharjee, Yahoo!
>  > 4:00-4:30 Natural language Processing - Jimmy Lin, U of Maryland /
>  > Christophe Bisciglia, Google
>  > 4:30-4:45 Break
>  > 4:45-5:30 Panel on future directions
>  > 5:30-7:00 Happy hour
>  >
>  > Look forward to seeing you there!
>  > Ajay
>  >

Posted by xa...@orange-ftgroup.com.
I agree, I love to be part of this but the rooms are full.
Xavier

Does Yahoo have no bigger rooms than just for a 100 people?

On Feb 20, 2008, at 12:10 PM, Ajay Anand wrote:

> The registration page for the Hadoop summit is now up:
> http://developer.yahoo.com/hadoop/summit/
>
> Space is limited, so please sign up early if you are interested in
> attending.
>
> About the summit:
> Yahoo! is hosting the first summit on Apache Hadoop on March 25th in
> Sunnyvale. The summit is sponsored by the Computing Community
> Consortium
> (CCC) and brings together leaders from the Hadoop developer and user
> communities. The speakers will cover topics in the areas of extensions

> being developed for Hadoop, case studies of applications being built
> and deployed on Hadoop, and a discussion on future directions for the
> platform.
>
> Agenda:
> 8:30-8:55 Breakfast
> 8:55-9:00 Welcome to Yahoo! & Logistics - Ajay Anand, Yahoo!
> 9:00-9:30 Hadoop Overview - Doug Cutting / Eric Baldeschwieler, Yahoo!
> 9:30-10:00 Pig - Chris Olston, Yahoo!
> 10:00-10:30 JAQL - Kevin Beyer, IBM
> 10:30-10:45 Break
> 10:45-11:15 DryadLINQ - Michael Isard, Microsoft
> 11:15-11:45 Monitoring Hadoop using X-Trace - Andy Konwinski and Matei

> Zaharia, UC Berkeley
> 11:45-12:15 Zookeeper - Ben Reed, Yahoo!
> 12:15-1:15 Lunch
> 1:15-1:45 Hbase - Michael Stack, Powerset
> 1:45-2:15 Hbase App - Bryan Duxbury, Rapleaf
> 2:15-2:45 Hive - Joydeep Sen Sarma, Facebook 2:45-3:00 Break 3:00-3:20

> Building Ground Models of Southern California - Steve Schossler, David

> O'Hallaron, Intel / CMU 3:20-3:40 Online search for engineering design

> content - Mike Haley, Autodesk 3:40-4:00 Yahoo - Webmap - Arnab
> Bhattacharjee, Yahoo!
> 4:00-4:30 Natural language Processing - Jimmy Lin, U of Maryland /
> Christophe Bisciglia, Google
> 4:30-4:45 Break
> 4:45-5:30 Panel on future directions
> 5:30-7:00 Happy hour
>
> Look forward to seeing you there!
> Ajay

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
101tec Inc.
Menlo Park, California, USA
http://www.101tec.com

Re: Hadoop summit / workshop at Yahoo!

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@101tec.com>.
Puhh, 2 days and it is full?
Does Yahoo have no bigger rooms than just for a 100 people?

On Feb 20, 2008, at 12:10 PM, Ajay Anand wrote:

> The registration page for the Hadoop summit is now up:
> http://developer.yahoo.com/hadoop/summit/
>
> Space is limited, so please sign up early if you are interested in
> attending.
>
> About the summit:
> Yahoo! is hosting the first summit on Apache Hadoop on March 25th in
> Sunnyvale. The summit is sponsored by the Computing Community
> Consortium
> (CCC) and brings together leaders from the Hadoop developer and user
> communities. The speakers will cover topics in the areas of extensions
> being developed for Hadoop, case studies of applications being built
> and
> deployed on Hadoop, and a discussion on future directions for the
> platform.
>
> Agenda:
> 8:30-8:55 Breakfast
> 8:55-9:00 Welcome to Yahoo! & Logistics - Ajay Anand, Yahoo!
> 9:00-9:30 Hadoop Overview - Doug Cutting / Eric Baldeschwieler, Yahoo!
> 9:30-10:00 Pig - Chris Olston, Yahoo!
> 10:00-10:30 JAQL - Kevin Beyer, IBM
> 10:30-10:45 Break
> 10:45-11:15 DryadLINQ - Michael Isard, Microsoft
> 11:15-11:45 Monitoring Hadoop using X-Trace - Andy Konwinski and Matei
> Zaharia, UC Berkeley
> 11:45-12:15 Zookeeper - Ben Reed, Yahoo!
> 12:15-1:15 Lunch
> 1:15-1:45 Hbase - Michael Stack, Powerset
> 1:45-2:15 Hbase App - Bryan Duxbury, Rapleaf
> 2:15-2:45 Hive - Joydeep Sen Sarma, Facebook
> 2:45-3:00 Break
> 3:00-3:20 Building Ground Models of Southern California - Steve
> Schossler, David O'Hallaron, Intel / CMU
> 3:20-3:40 Online search for engineering design content - Mike Haley,
> Autodesk
> 3:40-4:00 Yahoo - Webmap - Arnab Bhattacharjee, Yahoo!
> 4:00-4:30 Natural language Processing - Jimmy Lin, U of Maryland /
> Christophe Bisciglia, Google
> 4:30-4:45 Break
> 4:45-5:30 Panel on future directions
> 5:30-7:00 Happy hour
>
> Look forward to seeing you there!
> Ajay

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
101tec Inc.
Menlo Park, California, USA
http://www.101tec.com

Re: Hadoop summit / workshop at Yahoo!

Posted by Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>.
Derek Anderson wrote:
> seconded.  (or thirded? :)  the commute from dallas is rough.
Dallas is around the corner.

I've got people in Bangalore, Ireland and Australia who this would be
useful for ;-)

Posted by Derek Anderson <pu...@kered.org>.

Posted by Ajay Anand <aa...@yahoo-inc.com>.
We do plan to make the video available online after the event.

Ajay

Posted by Tim Wintle <ti...@teamrubber.com>.

Posted by Lukas Vlcek <lu...@gmail.com>.

--
http://blog.lukas-vlcek.com/

Re: Hadoop summit / workshop at Yahoo!

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
On 20.02.2008, at 23:18, Allen Wittenauer wrote:

> On 2/20/08 1:38 PM, "Owen O'Malley" <oo...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 20, 2008, at 12:40 PM, Torsten Curdt wrote:
>>
>>> Since Sunnyvale is not exactly around the corner for everyone...
>>> (bugger)
>>> Are people around for a small gathering during ApacheCon EU?
>>
>> Tom White, Allen Wittenauer, and I will all be presenting at
>> ApacheCon EU. We should certainly have a gathering there.

Cool

>     In addition to BarCode, obviously. :)

"BarCode"? ...you mean in addition to the normal beers? :)

Re: Hadoop summit / workshop at Yahoo!

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Owen O'Malley <oo...@yahoo-inc.com>.
On Feb 20, 2008, at 12:40 PM, Torsten Curdt wrote:

> Since Sunnyvale is not exactly around the corner for everyone...
> (bugger)
> Are people around for a small gathering during ApacheCon EU?

Tom White, Allen Wittenauer, and I will all be presenting at
ApacheCon EU. We should certainly have a gathering there.

-- Owen

Re: Hadoop summit / workshop at Yahoo!

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
Since Sunnyvale is not exactly around the corner for everyone...
(bugger)
Are people around for a small gathering during ApacheCon EU?

cheers
--
Torsten

Posted by John Heidemann <jo...@isi.edu>.
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:10:09 PST, "Ajay Anand" wrote:
>The registration page for the Hadoop summit is now up:
>http://developer.yahoo.com/hadoop/summit/
>Agenda:

Ajay, when we talked about the summit on the phone, you were considering
having a poster session.  I don't see that listed.  Should I assume it's
no longer planned?

Thanks,
   -John

RE: Hadoop summit / workshop at Yahoo!

Hrm.... yes, I'd like to make a visit as well :)

On Feb 20, 2008 8:05 AM, C G <pa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>   Hey All:
>
>   Is this going forward?  I'd like to make plans to attend and the
sooner I can get plane tickets the happier the bean counters will be
:-).

>   Thx,
>   C G
>
>   > Ajay Anand wrote:
> >>
> >> Yahoo plans to host a summit / workshop on Apache Hadoop at our
> >> Sunnyvale campus on March 25th. Given the interest we are seeing
from
> >> developers in a broad range of organizations, this seems like a
good
> >> time to get together and brief each other on the progress that is
> >> being
> >> made.
> >>

> >> We would like to cover topics in the areas of extensions being
> >> developed
> >> for Hadoop, innovative applications being built and deployed on
> >> Hadoop,
> >> and future extensions to the platform. Some of the speakers who
have
> >> already committed to present are from organizations such as IBM,
> >> Intel,
> >> Carnegie Mellon University, UC Berkeley, Facebook and Yahoo!, and
> >> we are
> >> actively recruiting other leaders in the space.
> >>

> >> If you have an innovative application you would like to talk about,
> >> please let us know. Although there are limitations on the amount of
> >> time
> >> we have, we would love to hear from you. You can contact me at
> >> aanand@yahoo-inc.com.
> >>

> >> Thanks and looking forward to hearing about your cool apps,
> >>
> >> Ajay
> >>

> > --
Nabble.com.

> ---------------------------------
Try it now.

Re: Hadoop summit / workshop at Yahoo!

Posted by Bradford Stephens <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by C G <pa...@yahoo.com>.
  Hey All:

---------------------------------

Re: Hadoop summit / workshop at Yahoo!

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Is there anyway the results will be made available publicly? (i.e.
video downloads)  I'd love to be there to represent Mahout (http://lucene.apache.org/mahout
), but am not sure if I can swing a West Coast trip on that date given
an ApacheCon EU departure a week later.

Cheers,
Grant

Posted by Scott S <sa...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by edward yoon <ed...@mail.udanax.org>.
The current shared-memory based parallel matrix solutions(R-ScaLAPACK,
ScaLAPACK, LAPACK, MPI, ... , etc) provides a scalable and high
performance matrix operations, however, matrix resources can't be
scalable.

Using HDFS space, we are able to store large matrix.
Using iterative algorithms on a parallel processing platform like
MapReduce, we should be able to implement World's Largest Matrix
Operating System.

--
B. Regards,
Edward yoon @ NHN, corp.