Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Greg Goodrich <gg...@medinotes.com> on 2004/05/16 17:06:28 UTC

Error during checkout - svn: Date parsing failed

I've been trying to convert from VSS to Subversion, and I've followed
the advice given on this mailing list for doing a "svn propset svn:date
--revprop" command to preserve the dates of my VSS modifications.
However, now that it appears that I'm getting the appropriate dates
submitted via this command, I now get errors when trying to do a
checkout.  The errors are as follows:

$ svn checkout http://pegasus/svn/dev3/trunk/Charting
A   Charting/MediTools
svn: In directory 'Charting/MediTools'
svn: Error processing command 'modify-entry' in 'Charting/MediTools'
svn: Date parsing failed
$
$ svn log http://pegasus/svn/dev3/trunk/Charting
svn: Date parsing failed
$
$ svn propget svn:date --revprop -rHEAD http://pegasus/svn/dev3/
'1998-05-22T07:45:00.000000Z'
$ svn propget svn:date --revprop -r1 http://pegasus/svn/dev3/
'1997-01-01T00:00:00.000000Z'
$ svn propget svn:date --revprop -r2 http://pegasus/svn/dev3/
'2004-05-16T07:31:29.918917Z'

Hmm, as I run these test commands to put more info on this email, I
noticed that last command returned a current date rather than a
historical one.  Maybe that is the problem here.  I'll post this anyhow,
just in case, and then post a follow-up if after fixing this issue it
still fails.

TIA

Re: Error during checkout - svn: Date parsing failed

Posted by Greg Goodrich <gg...@medinotes.com>.
Well, I'm not directly using a shell, and thus am not certain which
shell is being used.  I'm using a perl script that someone else wrote,
and it is issuing the svn command through a perl mechanism.  This is
happening on a windows machine, and the perl script itself is being run
via bash, but I don't know what perl itself on a windows box will exec
when running a shell command.  Quite likely it is running cmd.exe.  If I
find out more, I will post the info.

Benjamin Pflugmann wrote:

>On Mon 2004-05-17 at 11:43:08 -0500, you wrote
>

>>Okay, I figured out my problem.  I was using the examples of svn propset
>>from the online book, which all seem to have the property value enclosed
>>in single quotes.  You do NOT want this when setting svn:date!  It keeps
>>the quotes as part of the property value, and thus causes the Date
>>parsing failed message to occur.
>>

>Just a minor clarification for other readers: quite probably this has
>nothing to do with svn:date being special, but with the shell Greg
>used (MS-DOS box?).
>
>So you should read this as "you do not want this when setting
>properties under Windows with the same shell as Greg used". The
>examples work fine with bash and tcsh (under Linux) and should work
>with any reasonable UNIX-style shell (Cygwin under Windows should be
>fine, too). Usually svn doesn't see the single quotes at all, because
>the shell already handled and removed them. Apparently Windows works
>different here.
>
>As the book says at the start, the examples are written with a UNIX
>shell in mind.
>
>Bye,
>
>	Benjamin.

*Greg Goodrich*
Development Manager

*MediNotes Corporation*
1025 Ashworth Road, Suite 222
West Des Moines, IA 50265
Phone: 515.327.8850 ext. 251/
/Fax: 515.327.8856

<http://www.medinotes.com>
*Charting Plus - "The Best EMR Value on the Market!"
**www.medinotes.com* <http://www.medinotes.com/>

Re: Error during checkout - svn: Date parsing failed

Posted by Benjamin Pflugmann <be...@pflugmann.de>.

Posted by Greg Goodrich <gg...@medinotes.com>.