Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Cristi Manole <cr...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/09 09:36:39 UTC

Communication between applications, one using wicket

Hello,

I have a wicket application where a user starts an action on another system
(different machine, outside network). I would like for this specific user to
receive a response from that system once the action is finished (it takes a
fair amount of time) and the status of that action.

My idea is to have inside Wicket application an ajax self updating panel, so
that the database of the application gets read from time to time. The other
application would send a "message" to the Wicket application (call some page
with some page parameters), which would update the specific database table
with the user who started the action and the response. Once the action is
finished, the self updating panel (aware of this by reading it in the
database) becomes visible and it will contain that message to inform the
user.

I think my idea is bad. If nothing else I consider it resource savvy.

How do you guys handle communication between two applications (the other
application is not written in java) in order to provide the response to the
user without refreshing the page?

Thank you very much in advance,
Cristi Manole

Re: Communication between applications, one using wicket

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Can the other application just write to the database?

Posted by John Krasnay <jo...@krasnay.ca>.

Posted by Jonas <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

there are probably easier way to provide a 'callback' channel to a remote system
than a wicket page. Of course, using the web server makes sense, but
I'd recommend
to use a simple servlet to receive the callback and to update the
specific database table
instead of a wicket page, since the remote system probably doesn't
need to get a html
response - a simple http status code is probably enough.
Using axis sounds like overkill to me...