Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com> on 2016/03/03 01:54:52 UTC

Command-line prototype ready for testing - would like feedback

Hello all

The command-line tools has been improved and can now demonstrate some of
SIS capabilities. It does not yet include coordinate transformations
(this will be added this month), but it has other interesting features.
If there is any volunteer for trying, I would appreciate feedback on
anything: errors, usability, command syntax, output format, colors,
English messages, etc.

Limitations:

  * Currently run only on Linux or MacOS. In order to get Windows
    support, we need to convert the "sis.sh" file into a "sis.bat". This
    is a small file so it should not be difficult, but I'm not familiar
    anymore with Windows syntax.
  * Temporarily requires JDK 7 or 8. Support for JDK 6 will be back later.
  * Require a JDK with JavaDB (unless a Derby JAR is copied manually in
    the "apache-sis-0.7-SNAPSHOT/lib" sub-directory).

Installation:

  * Download
    https://builds.apache.org/job/sis-trunk/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/distribution/apache-sis-0.7-SNAPSHOT.zip
  * Run the following commands:

    unzip apache-sis-0.7-SNAPSHOT.zip
    export PATH=$PWD/apache-sis-0.7-SNAPSHOT/bin:$PATH

Automatic EPSG dataset download will be proposed the first time that an
operation requires it. The command-line tools will ask if you want to
download it, display EPSG terms of use, and ask if you agree. For now,
the dataset is downloaded from this location:

    http://home.apache.org/~desruisseaux/Temporary/

We will obviously need to find a better location, but this will be the
subject of another thread.

Usage examples:

One can try the following commands (you can replace "EPSG:6676" by most
codes listed on
http://sis.staging.apache.org/book/tables/CoordinateReferenceSystems.html):

    sis crs EPSG:6676

An interesting feature is Apache SIS capability to perform the reverse
operation: given a CRS definition, find back the EPSG code. This
operation is interesting because it shows that Apache SIS "understands"
CRS. My favourite example is:

    sis identifier http://sis.staging.apache.org/examples/EquivalentDefinition.wkt

Above example is interesting because it shows that Apache SIS has been
able to understand that a "Mercator (variant A)" projection with a
"Scale factor at natural origin" parameter value of 0.7557992272019596
is numerically equivalent to a "Mercator (variant B)" projection with a
"Latitude of 1st standard parallel" parameter value of 41°. See
http://sis.staging.apache.org/command-line.html for more details and
other examples.

    Martin