Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Dominique Bourely <do...@travelsoft.fr> on 2008/06/30 10:35:13 UTC

Color Profile not applied

Hi,

We use FOP extensively and we are facing now an issue regarding color
brilliance of some of our included images.
To keep this brilliance in the result PDF, we tried to use the sRGB Color
Space Profile.icm in the conf file.
But with no effect.

We use FOP 0.95b, along with xml-common-graphics-1.3.1

Has someone any idea ?

Re: Color Profile not applied

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Please note that with my latest discovery this (color profiles) becomes
somewhat irrelevant here. The route to follow is to investigate how to
improve the handling of the alpha channel in PDF. I believe we're
missing something here. If I had enough time to pursue this, my first
task would be to read up on transparency features in PDF 1.4 to get a
better picture of how it works. The thing is: the soft mask has the
value 0xFF for most pixels which should make most of the image fully
transparent. And despite that the image appears as to be behind a veil.

On 10.07.2008 22:56:11 Jean-François El Fouly wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki a écrit :
> >
> > There's no "treatment" or the image itself, just evaluation of
> > information inside the image being loaded. FOP reacts on the and tries
> > to put the right information inside the PDF.
> >

> This was not clear in our mind since I had a vague feeling I had seen
> things like gamma correction while browsing the code very quickly, but
> this may be somewhere else in a totally different context ?
> This hint helps us a lot.
> > The key change is in org.apache.fop.render.pdf.ImageRenderedAdapter (in
> > the case of PNG images) where you'd need to override the ColorSpace
> > sent to the PDF library with the device-specific variant.
> >

> This is second very, very helpful hint. I've been once more through the
> code of this class; not sure at the moment I grasp everything about the
> way it works or how it fits in FOP general picture, but at least now I
> know what to look for and where we should put the effort...
> > Please note: I consider this a hack or a desperate measure if all else
> > fails. Ignoring the color management is a way to fall back to
> > device-specific colors which is known to produce the color fidelity you
> > expect on screen. I'd rather find out if there's a bug in the way FOP
> > handles color profiles. But if I see so many other programs fail at
> > producing the colors you expect I have low hopes. Maybe your PDF gives
> > me a clue.
> >

> Well, I guess the customer is desperate to a point where a hack will do
> the job until in the long term someone (you / us / someone else) comes
> up with a clean solution.
> So that is not really a problem.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Color Profile not applied

Posted by Jean-François El Fouly <je...@elfouly.fr>.
Jeremias Maerki a écrit :
> The work-around it seems is:
> - either to convert the PNG from 32bit to 24bit (removing the alpha
> channel)
> - or skip generating the alpha channel for PDF output. See
> ImageRenderedAdapter.setup(PDFDocument) (the line with "this.softMask ="
> can be commented and the colors appear as they should).

The first work-around is alas not an option for us [I work with
Dominique on this question] at least not in the general sense. Of course
we could write some image preprocessor before the FOP generation (there
is at least one other such process in the app) but the customer will
want to keep the alpha channel in the PNG they generate. We output these
images in PDF through FOP, thus on a white background, but we also
generate the manuals in HTML format on a background that can be switched
black or white (for reading in the cockpit or in an hotel room or
according to anyone's particular preference).

Re: Color Profile not applied

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Thanks for the PDF. That brought me on the right track. There's
absolutely nothing wrong about the color spaces in FOP. They are the
same as in that Photoshop PDF. The only difference I found was the lack
of a soft mask (transparency layer) for the image.

Your PNG file has 32 bit, i.e. includes an alpha channel (soft mask,
transparency). I realize now that we haven't understood transparency in
PDF well enough, yet, and that I've been chasing a ghost for months. So
I have to take a step back and find some time later to learn more about
this topic. No guarantees as to when that happens since I'm going to be
absorbed with other things at least in the next couple of weeks. Maybe
you can look into it yourself.

On 10.07.2008 18:56:39 Dominique Bourely wrote:

> Hi Jeremias,
> Here is the PDF file produced by the distiller within Photoshop
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p18386294/testATS.pdf testATS.pdf
>
> Jeremias Maerki-2 wrote:
> >
> > On 10.07.2008 13:28:05 Dominique Bourely wrote:
> >>
> >> Excuse me for the delay.
> >> More explicetely, the PNG image loses the brilliance when included in PDF
> >> with FOP.
> >> I attach an example of such a PDF (
> >> http://www.nabble.com/file/p18380833/test-png-sans-output.pdf
> >> test-png-sans-output.pdf ) and the original image source (
> >> http://www.nabble.com/file/p18380833/img-test.png img-test.png ).
> >> On the opposite, when I use Acrobat Distiller to produce a PDF from the
> >> image (through Photoshop for instance), I am proposed to incorpore a
> >> color
> >> profile, and if (and only if) I accept and choose sRGB, the result is
> >> correct.
> >
> > Can you send me that PDF that you produced with Photoshop? When I
> > produce PDF through means other than FOP, I get either sRGB with washed
> > out colors or Device RGB or DeviceCMYK.
> >
> >> So our idea was to simplify the PNG decoder class to avoid image
> >> treatment.
> >
> > There's no "treatment" or the image itself, just evaluation of
> > information inside the image being loaded. FOP reacts on the and tries
> > to put the right information inside the PDF.
> >
> >> Could you help us estimate the workload to achieve this ?
> >
> > You mean you want to write an option to ignore color profiles on images?
> > Here's what would be necessary:
> >
> > There's already a configuration option that lets you disable the default
> > sRGB color profile which is necessary for making sure all XSL-FO colors
> > are mapped to PDF properly.
> > http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/configuration.html#pdf-renderer
> >
> > Switching this on will make it impossible to create PDF/A or
> > PDF/X-3:2003.
> >
> > The key change is in org.apache.fop.render.pdf.ImageRenderedAdapter (in
> > the case of PNG images) where you'd need to override the ColorSpace
> > sent to the PDF library with the device-specific variant.
> >
> > Then you'll need a way to signal that into the code. You can define an
> > extension attribute for fo:external-graphic (like
> > fox:ignore-color-profile="true") that is evaluated in
> > PDFRenderer.putImage(). I assume the AbstractImageAdapter will need to
> > be changed to carry that signal.
> >
> > Please note: I consider this a hack or a desperate measure if all else
> > fails. Ignoring the color management is a way to fall back to
> > device-specific colors which is known to produce the color fidelity you
> > expect on screen. I'd rather find out if there's a bug in the way FOP
> > handles color profiles. But if I see so many other programs fail at
> > producing the colors you expect I have low hopes. Maybe your PDF gives
> > me a clue.

> >> issue

> >> Color

> > Jeremias Maerki

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Color Profile not applied

Posted by Jean-François El Fouly <je...@elfouly.fr>.

Posted by Dominique Bourely <do...@travelsoft.fr>.
Hi Jeremias,

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
> [...]

> > regarding color brilliance"?
> >
> > Please also see my previous answers on similar questions:
> > http://www.nabble.com/file/p18380833/test-png-sans-output.pdf
> > test-png-sans-output.pdf
> > http://markmail.org/message/3tuims2gjbconya5
> > http://markmail.org/message/qithk3gcoyrane3a
> >
> > For FOP Trunk, the sRGB disabling option might be something related to
> > this:
> > http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/configuration.html#pdf-renderer
> >
> > On 30.06.2008 10:35:13 Dominique Bourely wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> We use FOP extensively and we are facing now an issue regarding color
> >> brilliance of some of our included images.
> >> To keep this brilliance in the result PDF, we tried to use the sRGB Color
> >> Space Profile.icm in the conf file.
> >> But with no effect.
> >>
> >> We use FOP 0.95b, along with xml-common-graphics-1.3.1

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Color Profile not applied

Posted by Dominique Bourely <do...@travelsoft.fr>.
Excuse me for the delay.

Posted by Jean-François El Fouly <je...@elfouly.fr>.
Jeremias Maerki a écrit :
> FOP 0.95beta uses the sRGB color space by default (because XSL-FO
> defines all RGB colors in the sRGB color space). FOP always embeds an
> sRGB color profile. So specifying another sRGB color space explicitely
> doesn't have any effect. Can you elaborate on what you mean by "an issue
> regarding color brilliance"?
>
> Please also see my previous answers on similar questions:
> http://markmail.org/message/3tuims2gjbconya5
> http://markmail.org/message/qithk3gcoyrane3a

Well in fact Dominique and I work together on this question so this was
yet another attempt to solve the color saturation "issue" in aircraft
manuals.
Since your detailed answer (a couple of months ago) I've learned quite a
few things (reading the PDF Reference Manual, among others) so I realize
now that there are a couple interesting points in your post which I
missed at that time.
One of them was a hint that "rendering intents" could be a solution.
Well, FYI, I've tried a patch in PdfImageXObject to add
/Intent /Saturation
to the image dictionaries and well... it does not seem to change
anything in the way Acrobat Reader renders the document.
Now I understand also that sRGB is in a certain way part of the FO
"standard" (another point I missed) and that's the reason why it is
implemented this way in FOP.
But I guess we'll need some kind of local patch, e.g. a rewrite of
PNGImageDecoder / Encoder in xmlgraphics-commons, rendering our PNG's in
/DeviceRGB, to achieve the result our customer needs.

Thanks, any comment or suggestion welcome !

Re: Color Profile not applied

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
FOP 0.95beta uses the sRGB color space by default (because XSL-FO
defines all RGB colors in the sRGB color space). FOP always embeds an
sRGB color profile. So specifying another sRGB color space explicitely
doesn't have any effect. Can you elaborate on what you mean by "an issue
regarding color brilliance"?

Please also see my previous answers on similar questions:
http://markmail.org/message/3tuims2gjbconya5
http://markmail.org/message/qithk3gcoyrane3a

For FOP Trunk, the sRGB disabling option might be something related to
this:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/configuration.html#pdf-renderer

On 30.06.2008 10:35:13 Dominique Bourely wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We use FOP extensively and we are facing now an issue regarding color
> brilliance of some of our included images.
> To keep this brilliance in the result PDF, we tried to use the sRGB Color
> Space Profile.icm in the conf file.
> But with no effect.
>
> We use FOP 0.95b, along with xml-common-graphics-1.3.1
>
> Has someone any idea ?

Jeremias Maerki